This Disappears When Logged In

Temp Gun Surprises

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Knox, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Just got my Temp Gun today - TG1. After measuring everything from the interior of my car in the sun (Dash was at 161 degrees), to my iced tea in my cup (tea at 41, ice at 27), I proceeded to check out my enclosures.

My Herpstats are set at 86 degrees, with the probes attached at the back of the 11" strips with electrical tape. I knew there would be some discrepancy since the probe is still in open air. But I was a bit surprised at what I found.

* The Flex itself measured anywhere from 96 to 102, depending on which shelf I measured it on.

* The floor of the tubs themselves, over the Flex, were anywhere from 89 to 96 - the tub floors do not sit directly on the Flex - they have a slight bow in them.

* On top of the substrate, the temps on the hot side were between 75 and 82. On the cool side, the top of the substrate was pretty consistent at 74 to 76.

So, while the temps are spot on for thermo-regulating, it was surprising to see the difference in temps with the same Flex on each shelf. Granted, 4 to 6 degrees isn't THAT big a deal with Colubrids, if I were keeping something more fragile I might try to change up the probe, maybe place it inside one of the tubs or totally encase it over the Flex.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I love my temp gun! When I first got it my daughter(17) ran around temping everything! When it came up missing one day I asked her where it was and she had it in her room, thought she was running a fever and wanted to check LMAO!

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

It is a pretty fun thing to play with, that's for sure!

4. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

LOL, that's cute. I will never forget what I did with my tempt gun the moment it came in. I told the wifey to turn off all the lights in the house and to bring over my digi cam. As you can imagine, I was ghost hunting!!! that first week I spent most of the night temping everything LOL... good times!!

To this day I will walk around in the middle of the night while all the lights are off measuring the temperature around the house.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

wow, that dash was hot, glad I wasn't in your car!

I think that we all have done that! LOL, who says we can't play as adults:p

6. target1911

target1911 Well-Known Member

They are fun to play with.

In the summer my car regularly reaches 150+ ...measures with a food thermometer stuck in the defrost vent of my Trans Am. The top of my car is 95% glass.