This Disappears When Logged In

Temp Custom Ig Cage Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by bword, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bword

bword Well-Known Member

hey all, I called this thing temp because its I know its not deep (2ft) enough for a fully grown male iguana. Mines about 3 months old currently in a 55 gallon tank. It started off with a 5x5 anderson sliding window. The reason im not making it 3 or 4 ft deep is because I need to fit this thing threw the door at my apartment and im hoping to move out of here in a year. Once im settled in at a more permanat location ill build something bigger. But for a cheapie home depot special this should be pretty nice. I dont know jack about carpentry but have a good friend who does and my father along with his crazy amount of tools. We started tonight and got the foundation up build around the window with the sashes out of course. Check below for a few photos.

Attached Files:

2. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Looks pretty good to me. Atleast it will work for awhile and be better than the 50 gal you got him in now.

One thing though, WAY overkill with using 2x4's for all 4 sides. All i ever use when building enclosures is 2x2's. Once you get it sheeted (walls up) its more than strong enough (and heavy enough) to be sturdy while its moved around. I cant even imagine how much that things going to weight once its finished.

Next time you make a cage consider using smaller lumber. Your not building a house here :) haha. Looks good though, Im sure your ig will enjoy his temp enclosure.

3. bword

bword Well-Known Member

Yeah that's my buddys doing with the overkill lol. I'm kinda clueless with woodworking so he's in charge. It's sad to cause my dads a very good carpenter also lol. I'm still undecided on what to do for the roof either screen or enclosed. And also not sure what to use to on the inside of the cage as far as polyurethane goes.I'm prolly just going to build two levels and I'm debating on if I can fit a small humidifier in there hmm

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Polycrylic to seal the inside.
    And making a solid roof will make heating and humiifying it much easier. With a screen the heat and humidity go right out the top.
    I know its a bit late now but you could build the larger cage and make the panels bolt together for disassembling in case of a move.

5. bword

bword Well-Known Member

well its not too too late Ill have to talk to my contractor about how we might be able to make it bolt together to give it the extra couple feet. Its def possible but he said hed be happy to make another one whenever I need. Does anyone just stick a actual home humidifier in the cage?

6. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Rather than using up valuable living space for the reptiles most people who use humidifier's put them on the outside of the cage. Then you can connect PVC tubing together to make a tube for all the humidity to travel through and pour in through the top of the cage.

I considered making one of these setups myself. You just need to use the humidifier's that produce the mist. Then connect a PVC tube to the outlet. You might need to get crafty with how it mounts to the humidifier because its a custom setup.

Humidity should not be to much of an issue if you use a solid wood top with holes just cut out for lighting. And you are able to mist the enclosure atleast once a day.

7. bword

bword Well-Known Member

yeah luckily I know a plumber too. I thought you were sposed to run it the from the bottom so it travels up (mist)?

8. Merlin

Water vapor only goes up as it is heated. As it cools it falls.
    Think rain.

9. bword

bword Well-Known Member

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

bword - I wouldn't spend the time and money on something you'll have to upgrade soon - check out my thread further down the page about Ozzy the iguana. I built the walls of my 4x4x6 high enclosure using showerboard (moisture resistant) and 1x2's. The floor and roof are made with poplar frames and plywood so they're a bit more solid, but I built it so it comes apart into six panels. I built it in my shop, took it apart, took the panels upstairs and put it back together.

11. bword

bword Well-Known Member

hey rick i checked out and printed your post..thats a real nice setup. Ill bring it to my contractor and see if we can borrow your design. So far its been real cheap. The window is priciest thing but it was free. So far I have 15 bucks into it.

12. Rickenbackerman

Mine wasn't very cheap but I was in a hurry since Ozzy was living in the dining room while I built it. I could have just used plywood for the walls but I thought the shower board would look nicer and I didn't want to have to paint the walls and then wait for it to dry.
    I definitely think you'd be better off building it in six panels for sure. A one-piece enclosure is going to be very heavy and limited to doorway size.
    Rob

13. bword

bword Well-Known Member

well we built it to get in and out of my apartment doorways without any issues..granted yes its heavy but I dont know how often ill be moving it so its not a huge ordeal. Im going with plywood cause its cheap.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The home humidifiers should be on the floor of the tank, if the mist is coming in from the top, it might get too damp around the heat/light fixtures, the mist rises up, but not high enough to cause problems, (in a large enclosure).

15. bword

bword Well-Known Member

I have a zoomed fogger btw is there any way I can use that or does it not put out enough to make a difference?

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I haven`t used those before, so I can`t tell you, just see what humidity levels you get, if not sufficient, try the household types, I don`t know the price if them in the States, but you can get them on ebay, I just bought another cool-air for £15 including postage ($22), secondhand, very economical to use, too.

17. Merlin

Either I am misreading the specs or there is something hokey there.
    If your tank capacity is 3.4 liter/0.9 of a gallon, how can you get 8.7 liter/2.3 gallons of moisture out if it?

18. Rickenbackerman

It does say the run time is 11 hours min, so 24/11*3.4 = 7.42 which still does not equal 8.7. Beats me...

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I use a cool mist humidifier inside my cwd's enclosure, it seems to just be an extra spot for him to climb on. So in my opinion if you want it inside put it inside, your ig may just use it as another area to climb also :)

20. Merlin

As well as a place to poop in!