This Disappears When Logged In

Tell me about torts

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Microscope Jockey, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Tell me about tortoises. I don't think I want one but I always see them at shows and when I go to Regal Reptiles and they make me curious because I know nothing about them. I once met one of my friend's pet box turtle and that is about the extent of my knowledge. What do they eat? What are the smaller species? How old to the aforementioned species get? What sort of environmental parameters do they require? Are they social?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Torts vary almost as much as snakes. Some large and some small. most have extremely long lives,,,like 50+ yrs. and as a general rule eat predominately veggies. I happen to be fond of the Russian and here's a link I rather like ( I wrote it !!!)

http://www.herpcenter.com/article.php?a=27

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I have a Russian, a Red- foot and a Sulcata housed together in a 40 gallon breeder, they are both about 4 inches long. They get along fine, eat a diet of greens and fruit similar to Iguanas but with dry grasses mixed in. They spend most of their time in a burrow that is made from a cradboard box. Generally they require very little care other than monitoring the diet. The red foot will top out at about a foot long and under 10 pounds, but the Sulcata will get to 30 inches long and about 125 pounds. As far as age I have already put them both in my will for my nephew. The russian is only about 10' long.

They are a favorite of mine because the children are fascinated by them and they are easier to transport than the snakes and lizards.

I keep the enclosure at 85 degrees with a basking area at almost 100. They have a reptisun 5.0 and a small waterdish that they can walk into (it's kept at 1/4 inch deep).

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Thanks Jay,,,a lot of research and some excellent input from our most esteemed admin Rich

6. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Next time you go to Regal, tell Jim I ,Zane, said he knows nothing and he needs to give me free stuff.

As for Torts being social- Sure, they tolerate other torts, sometimes. Pretty much, it's like most other herps. Torts seem to be one of the most violent as well when it comes to disputes. I have housed multiple individuals together but there always seems to be a fight from time to time with any species.. Ever try pulling an adult sulcata off another thats lodged in the corner.. Fun stuff...
    Zane

7. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Great article Ken :)
    I wondered about them beng social because Sean has all his big spur-thighs in a paddock together and because of the hippo article.
    Zane- I spend most of my time talking to Sean, Beth, Matt or Ryan ;)

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Sadly many people purchase adult torts and have no clue as to the age. 2 of my friends have purchased them within the last 2 yrs and they have passed on already. And i know it was not due to improper husbandry. Most torts today are wild caught adults (at least Russians) and the buyer might be getting one that's already 30 yrs old or older !!

9. larly

larly Member

Jay put in his post that the three are housed together, the Russian tort (Pickles) actually has his own 18x48 enclosure. The red foot and the sulcata seem to get along just fine, they even get fed together and we have never had a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.