This Disappears When Logged In

Tell Me About the Mega Ray Heat Projector

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by jono, Feb 11, 2010.

1. jono

jono Elite Member

Well mega ray seems to have a great reputation. I plan to use one of their heat/uv spot lights for a basking area. But with the size of my enclosure, i think ill need an extra kick to keep the ambient temp of the hot side up.

So what do you think of the mega ray heat projector? I cant seem to find any reviews for it though. Does anyone use it or know anything about how reliable it is? Id like your input. :) thanks.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'll reply in hopes someone spots your thread again.
    I'm not familiar with it, I don't use a projector with my MegaRay.

3. jono

jono Elite Member

thanks. if anything, maybe someone can recommend a good light-less heater for me. the enclosure will be 2.5 ft tall so the heat source needs to be fairly powerful. and ill be using it in combination with a mega ray uv/heat lamp.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

To supplement the Megaray I would use a ceramic heat bulb, long-lasting, cheap and no visible light, good for the night temps too.

5. jono

jono Elite Member

i am considering the ceramic heat bulb. but the reason im asking about the MRHP is because they claim the heat will "penetrate deeper" than a CHE. the MRHP is light-less as well. so i just wanted to know if anyone has any first hand experience with it to "prove" that it does or does not work better than a CHE. i only want the best for my beardie :)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Let me say first that I have never used the projector but it is my understanding that it only heats the animal itself, if the animals body is under it, and not the enclosure.

I personally use the ceramic heat emitters.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I nice to hear you want the best!
    The Megaray is the very best UVB/heat emmiting lamp at this time, the ceramic heat lamps are as good as any other type of heat lamp, the only thing you need to worry about are the temps, I must assume the other type you speak of must have a narrow beam, if it`s supposed to penetrate "deeper"? I personally don`t think that matters so long as the temps are within the recommended range throughout the enclosure, and the animal has access to the different levels.

8. jono

jono Elite Member

im thinking ill go with the CHE for now, just to keep it simple. thanks everyone. :D

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry, I think you mentioned on an earlier post it was going to be quite a long enclosure, can you just remind me of the length again. (I`m wondering whether you might need a supplementary light also, if it`s much over 4 feet long).Thanks!

10. jono

jono Elite Member

yessir, 5.5 ft long x 2.5 ft deep x 2.5 ft tall. ive all ready got a 4 foot fluorescent fixture that will be used for supplementary lighting. :)

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I used the mega heat projector for a few years. The heat projector isolates the flow of heat forward, instead of dispersing it throughout the entire unit.

It heated the enclosure just as good as a ceramic heating element did, except it wouldn't burn the reptile if accidental contact was made.

It is best used as the heat source to up the basking areas temp because of how it is designed.

12. jono

jono Elite Member

Thanks for the in-depth scoop rich. :)
    i think it will be most practical for me to find a lamp with the right wattage to keep the basking temp where it needs to be on its own. Then use a che on an as need basis, possibly for night heat if it cools down too much.

13. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

I use the Mega Ray Heat Projector.

The "mechanics" of the system is different than a Heat Emitter.

The Ceramic heat emitter or CHE heats the ceramic and that emits heat through the ambient air to the target.

The Heat Projector heats the element and using the shape of the housing projects the heat to the target area. So, the ambient air between the lamp and the target is not heated, just the target becomes heated.

Also, the CHE is a safety hazard for burns and fire. The MRHP is not so risky.

This makes for a much more efficient and safe heating system.

Some have complained about pre-mature failure, but I've never experienced it. In fact, I use the same HP that I initially got for over 5 years now.

Please be careful with CHE's and HP's. Read all manufacturers instructions and warnings. Ensure they are securely fastened and cannot be pull off or knocked over. Certainly keeps the CHE's out of reach of the reptile.

Happy herping!