This Disappears When Logged In

Tell Me About Boa Constrictor Subspecies/locales

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by CTU2fan, Nov 18, 2014.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Thinking about a boa. I've never owned one before, but I've kept a couple of large pythons and I kind of "babysat" a Colombian boa long term for one of my roommates (probably 1.5 years with the snake). I know about Colombians, but I'm curious about the other BCI locales that I've seen for sale (Central American, Mexican, Hogg Island, some others) Are they all pretty much the same in terms of care/husbandry? Same with BCC - is there any appreciable difference between a Suriname and a Guyana?

On one hand I'm leaning toward a BCC because I like the classic "red tail" look of them, though I've seen some Colombians with very red tails too. And I'm not big on designer morphs really; if I was then I'd kind of have to go with a BCI. On the other hand BCI are more common in the hobby and there's a good chance I can find somebody maybe trying to get rid of one on craigslist - call me a sap but I like picking up those unwanted herps and giving them a good home.

Just looking for some thoughts on these, I'd like to get a sense of them beyond just looking at pics of juvies for sale.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Care should be nearly identical across the board for the species.

Different subspecies are mostly valued for their markings, which can vary quite a bit.

Some are larger or smaller than others. I have a Central American Boa, with beautiful, dark markings. He is about 7 or 8 years old, and fully grown. At his last measure, he had finally achieved his adult size of.... 3 feet long. Smaller than some of my colubrids.

This pic is only a few months old.
    2.10.14. 071.jpg

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Wow, that's a far cry from the image some people have of giant Boa constrictors. Is that normal for the Central Americans, or is he unusually small?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm uncertain if he is average, above average, or below average for a Central American. Certainly, the females are larger...

My female 'normal' Boa is over ten feet long now, and weighs about 50 lbs.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

That's more what I had in mind. There's so much variation in these guys...makes me want to get 2 :)

6. bernie

bernie Member

I have a Hogg Island that I bought in March. She is still young and small but doing my research I found that they don't get crazy big and hard to handle. She is a beauty and I am totally amazed by her colours and shading. She eats well, sheds well and is mostly easy to handle - hisses a bit every now and then when I want to take her out but that doesn't stop me. She enjoys being out but sticks pretty close to me, not as adventurous out of her enclosure as my ball who loves to crawl up the stairs, on the handrail (wrought iron that she likes to lock on to - some hard to get her off that!) and on the windowsills. The boa also does not like to go back into her enclosure after being out. I can only imagine how hard that will be when she gets older and stronger!

7. bernie

bernie Member

Here are pics of my little Hog Island Boa.

Attached Files: