This Disappears When Logged In

Tegu Trouble?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by rrcoolj, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Okay so yesterday I was holding my about 13 inch tegu and he climbed to the top of my couch and fell about a foot or two to the bottom cushion. I didn't think much of it but now he has problems moving his left hind leg. I thought it might be broken but that's not a far fall and it doesn't look broken but he is limping. I am hoping I won't have to take him to the vet but I don't know. He isn't dragging his leg either.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It may not seem like a big fall, but these are quite delicate animals, and it doesn`t take too much to cause a serious injury, if he`s using the leg and able to move it normally even though he is "limping" it may not be broken, if you wait 24hours and see if there`s any improvement, and if not, see the vet.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Definitely, also feel around for any swelling.
    Swelling can restrict mobility.

4. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Okay well he is in for today but tommorrow I will check his leg. It's just so weird how it suddenly happened. He is still eating, basking, etc. I will give you an update tommorrow. If it dosen't get better a vet check will be in order. Thanks for the quick replies guys!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good luck!

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I hope for a quick recovery and keep us updated.

7. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

not so sure I would wait on the vet visit. my water dragon was once a gimpy little guy with a broken femur bone in the rear leg and he could use the leg like normal. even to the point that he would still run on his hind legs. I was in school the time that it happened and he was there with me. i had him in a small setup in class to do a presentation with him, but I think someone was handling him without my permission because when it came time to do the presentation I took him out of his enclosure and his leg was swollen but he had no other symptoms, no limping nothing. luckily we had a doctor and all equipment necessary to fix the little guy. good luck ive got my fingers crossed for ya

8. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I'm really anxious to check him tommorrow. My hope is to not have him go to the vet but we will see.

Bad news, the leg isn't getting any better. He is still eating and basking but he is not using that leg and it does look a bit swollen. I tried feeling it didn't feel like it was out of place it seems like he just sprained it or something. Poor little guy! Looks like I will have to take him to the vet.

9. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Good news! He is starting to use his leg now. I think it took so long because he is only out for like 6hrs a day. I am so happy. He is still basking but has slowed down on eating(nothing to do with his leg). Shouls I still take him to the vet?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would still take him. It may have been fractured.

11. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

okay I will try to find a vet for him.