This Disappears When Logged In

Tegu Safe, Good Plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by rmzsuzuki89, May 12, 2011.

1. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

I'm about to wrap up my new enclosure and thought it would be pretty cool to have real plants in it. I was thinking about doing maybe 6 inches of top soil without any fertilizers in it, and another 4 inches of cypress mulch with a few plants planets in there. I also thought about leaving them in pots and just burying the pot, but I kinda like the thought of them just being planted in there. So what plants would be safe for the tegu, and good for the environment that will be in the cage? Either in or out of a pot.

2. rmzsuzuki89

rmzsuzuki89 Elite Member

I just noticed that there's a plant section haha. Could a mod move this there please?

3. rrcoolj

rrcoolj Elite Member

Not to burst your bubble but most tegu keepers after a while give up on live plants. They are just too big and destructive to be kept with live plants. I am not saying there aren't any out there(pothos might work in certain places) but your options are very limited. You just don't see a whole lot of 2 year old+ tegus living in a cages with live plants.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I agree, full grown they will smash anything in their way, they will also dig them up, wasting your time and $$