This Disappears When Logged In

Tegu enclosure questions!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SebastiansExotics, Nov 29, 2014.

1. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Soon, Me, my Grandfather and, Uncle will be building my 8x3x3 tegu enclosure. We are going to be making it out of 3/4 inch plywood.

I am doing the plywood because I feel as if it is the strongest and I NEED TO PUT A 75 GALLON AND 55 GALON ON TOP OF THIS ENCLOSURE!
    Will it hold?

I have lots of questions!

#1 PAINTING

I want the enclosure to be painted black on the outside and inside!
    I know I need to use black low VOC paint and DRYLOK for waterproofing the inside.

QUESTION 1:
    What low VOC black paint do you recommend I use for the inside?

QUESTION 2:
    Do I paint it with the low VOC paint first, wait till t dries, THEN apply drylok over the paint?

QUESTION 3:
    What paint do I use to paint the outside with?

So, for my front I am doing A SINGLE 5 foot long and 2 foot tall sliding glass door. I know it is uneven and it will be on the left side of the front. I need it to be this size because I have another stand where the full size door would be and they would overlap.

FOR THE SLIDING DOORS:

I LOVE how this particular enclosure on youtube looks with the sliding glass does. How did he do this? It almost looks like a sliding window... LOOK AT HIS TEGU ENCLOSURES DOORS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCVI53g86I

PLEASE help me with that! It looks amazing!

Thanks so much guys!

-Sebastian

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

With a sliding door offset that much, you may have problems cleaning that far corner of the cage, but as long as you're game for crawling in there...

Make sure you support the heck out of that cage. those aquariums will add up to over half a ton of weight on the roof. It would suck big time to get it all done, set up the tanks, and have everything collapse. Honestly, for that kind of construction, I would skip the ply, and get real wood, it will be much sturdier. You will need to have plenty of beams of 2x4's in there, including some in the middle to hold all that weight.

As to paint, I have heard of drylok, but never used it. Do they make it in different colors? Just be aware that if you use it to seal the inside of your cage, and then paint another paint over it, the other paint may flake off in time, and end up in the substrate.

You can use any kind of paint you like on the exterior.

3. SebastiansExotics

The 75 and 55 will not be filled with water...

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, that simplifies things! lol.

5. SebastiansExotics

Yes, it does! I was confused as to where you had gotten that half a ton measurement from!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! I was with Jen on this . Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon!