This Disappears When Logged In

TEGU arrived super cold and lifeless

Discussion in 'Tegu' started by limonconcon, Jan 9, 2015.

1. limonconcon

limonconcon New Member

I order my argentine B&W Tegu from a FL breeder and Im in Chicago (It was about 18-23f this morning and very windy)
    The tegu arrived today lifeless, super cold to the touch, no heatpads inside and very little insulation paper, the tegu was inside a cloth bag where it looked like it pee and poo. it looks like he is about 1 ft.
    After keeping it next to the fireplace for a few minutes it started breathing very slowly and moving his eyes. I wrapped him around a hot towel and kept him next to the fireplace, after a few mins (20 or so) it started moving very slowly. kept him inside the hot towel until it actually started reacting and moving around. Right now after 3-4 hrs it ate half grape and about 12 pieces of fish, he came outside the cage to grab the food and he was very actively looking for it. It was strong enought to go up in the branch and basked where the temp is about 105f, now its basking where the temp is around 80-85... eyes closed but breathing (looks normal)
    After describing my situation (Sorry for my grammar) I have a few questions.

What happend to the animal? some form of hibernation?
    Should I take him to the bet?
    Should I give him a bath?
    Should I give him any special food or special vitamins?
    Should I look for any signs of sickness?

Any help will be really appreciated, its my first tegu and im already in love with him/her... but Im naming it Kait :D

2. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

I'm glad you didn't give up on the tegu and were able to revive it with heat. It sound to me like its body processes slowed way way down because of the cold. I have no idea if there are likely to be any long term issues because of this experience. Maybe somebody else can advise whether or not a vet check is in order.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes, very luck. I suspect the fact that it's an Argentine tegu that deals naturally with cold is the reason why. A Colombia subjected to a chill like that is likely dead.

Are you not going to name the breeder? With those packing methods they sound like someone to avoid.

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

So glad he survived, thanks to your care. Read a good care sheet on what to feed, temps and humidity etc. Make sure he is not dehydrated and has a good source of water to soak in or drink. The vet would be a very good idea!

Let us know the progress, please.

I am horrified at the way he was shipped in the cold like that.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That is the first time I've ever heard of a breeder shipping in winter with no heat packs. Usually as well they won't ship at all if the temperature dips below a certain level. At that temperature it's totally irresponsible to even attempt it.
    I realize it's warmer in Florida but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to check weather in another state. WOW.
    They can take low temperatures but that is dangerously low.
    Hopefully there's no long term effects.

6. limonconcon

limonconcon New Member

Hi all, thanks for all the help.
    The tegu is doing really good, she is actually sleeping inside my shirt now, she enjoys been outside the cage a lot.
    Here is a nice video of her

She is about a 1,5 ft now. She its A LOT... and she is getting picky too.. She is a very sweet animal, only bite me once but now im starting to understand that she only tries to bite me when she is hungry... I guess she confuses my fingers with food even tho i never hand feeder.

7. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

What a cutie pie!!
    She seems to be doing really well!