This Disappears When Logged In

Teeth Through The Lip.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dragoness, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Well, big girl (Akasha) with her enthusiastic feeding responses has managed to put a few teeth through her lip. Thankfully, my JCP managed to do this once before, so I got some practice fixing this problem on a much smaller and more tractable snake first.

Her timing could not have been worse. Between me being extremely sick (dual respiratory infection turned into pneumonia), and a death in the family, it took me a few days to find enough people to help manhandle her while I dug them out.

I have before and after pics, and someone took some pics during the process, of 3 people trying to hold a ten foot boa while I slid the lip down over the teeth. I just couldn't have coils wrapping around my hands/arms while I was in her mouth with metal tools doing it.

Before, you can not really see the teeth themselves, just that her lip is pinned up in place by the teeth that have gone through it.
    Tooth 001.jpg Tooth 007.jpg

Afterwards - and you can see the holes where at least 3 teeth made it all the way through the lip. I think there may have been a 4th that did not go all the way through. They are circled in one picture.

tooth-holes.JPG Tooth 009.jpg

When I had spoken with the vet about it, he said I could probably do it myself, and failing that, hey could break off any teeth as needed. I decided to give it a shot myself, and, failing that, make her an appointment.

What i did was to take a sewing needle, wipe it down with disinfectant of your choice (I used betadine, but Chlorhex will also do, as would alcohol, I imagine.)

I'm not using the sharp end, but rather the rounded end the string would normally go through. I think any good needle-like (but blunt and still small) piece of metal would work for this task. I inserted the rounded end of the needle into her mouth, near the base of the tooth, between the tooth and the lip, and gently eased it downwards, pushing the lip down the length of the tooth, until it came free. The whole process took only a minute or two (there was more than one tooth to free) and I saw no blood the whole time. Afterwards, I rinsed the area with betadine, and plan on doing so twice a day for a week, and watching for any swelling or signs of infection, and seeking the vet if anything pops up.

2. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Wow. Thank you, now I know how to deal with it if it ever happens with any of mine!

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have never seen it until recently. Last November with my JCP, and now with my big boa. I'm guessing it isn't an altogether common problem, but certainly possible.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

This is almost ironically funny. I hadn't seen or heard of this happening until your JCP, and now you've had it happen twice. And having seen in person how massive Akasha is, I can imagine how much fun wrangling her was (insert sarcasm font here). Glad everything went OK.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, extra people were definitely necessary to keep her in line. Takes two of us to carry her most days. I couldn't imagine having to take her to the vets! I could barely lift V with his travel bin, and all the accoutrements that helped keep it warm. And Akasha weighs about 38 lbs last I checked, about twice what V does.

I'm thinking that if I ever have to take her anywhere, it will be in one of those very large coolers with wheels on one end, and a handle on the other. Preferably lockable.

Darkbird likes this.