This Disappears When Logged In

Teenie Tiny Baby Corn Snake - Care Tips?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by PsykotikLovbyrd, Sep 24, 2015.

1. So on Saturday I picked up a baby corn snake and naked her Lilith. She was born August 12. The man selling her said she was about ten inches to a foot.....yeah NOT! She is about the size of a number two pencil. But I love her. I have not handled her since I got her and have really just been keeping her tank obsessively clean. I was expecting a bigger snake though. So my question is, when is it safe to handle her without the risk of injuring her? I know that baby cornsnakes tend to be a bit more fragile than a ball python because their bones are more brittle. Should I give her calcium supplement 20150920_200418.jpg ? Also, about how fast do cornsnakes grow? I have done research and know I will be able to take good care of her. I have a baby ball python so know about snakes. She is just VERY tiny so I am looking for a bit of advice :)

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Keep her temps and humidity close to what they should be. (dont forget to use digital thermometer and hygrometer not the stick on ones) She will need more accurate temperatures than an sub adult or adult.

Try not to handle her unless necessary. She isnt just a little more fragile, she will be alot more fragile. lol. When you do, dont squeeze or anything like that.

No supplements are needed for snakes. I have never heard of any needing supplements except for a few species needing UVB bulb. A corn snake is not one of those species

Mine ate every 5-7 days depending. Youll honestly be able to feed frozen thawed, or you should be able to. Especially since she is young. Unfortunately, they do not grow as fast as a ball python or a boa. I had mine for about 1 year and it wasnt a huge icnrease.

Good luck. I believe that is an Okeetee. I may be wrong on that though. We had one just like her.

3. Oh yes, the feeding he said was a frozen pinky. I was going to feed her every week on Saturday, but I may feed every five days because of how small she is.

The mom is an albino, the dad is a candy cane, not sure what that makes her other than really cute, lol!

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I know its in the Okeetee family. Albino, Reverse, Normal.... take your pick really.

You could try every 5 days and see what happens. If there is still a lump from the previous feeding, I would give it a few more days.

5. Will do :) I am not planning to breed her so guess the color morph doesn`t matter too much. She will be very pretty when she grows up though :)

TamJam likes this.
  6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

She is so precious.

7. Isn't she?! She is still not overly thrilled when I check on her every morning, but seems to be doing better. I did try to feed her I think of Thursday. She wouldn't eat, so I am trying again tomorrow. She loves the hides I made for her out of black poster board. I guess because they are nice and dark. That was my other question. She is albino, her eyes are pink. Do I need to take extra precautions with sunlight and such?

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Wait at least a week in between feedings. Anything over that could stress her out and make it worse. Give her time

No extra precautions are needed for sunlight. She technically is an Okeetee, whether she is an albino okeetee depends on heritage.

David McConley likes this.
  9. Ah okay. Every seven days it is then.

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It depends. :) I know its very confusing. If they are eating consistently and are under 1 year old then I feed every 5 to 7 days unless they arent eating then I usually give them a week before attempting. The reason being it just stresses them out if we feed them too often and they already arent eating.

11. Well she did eat today. It was the cutest thing ever! She does not understand constricting yet, so she just bit and swallowed. Good thing I am feeding frozen :)

TJOHNSON722 likes this.
  12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thats great! Yeah mine when they were little didnt constrict either. My kids always called them the worms because they were so tiny when we got them.

13. She is! She also shed last night. It was one piece, so happy about that :)

TJOHNSON722 likes this.