This Disappears When Logged In

Teach Me!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Stratusfaction, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stratusfaction

Stratusfaction Active Member

Hi all,

I've recently become interested in getting yet another herp, (number 5) this time I want to get a ball python. I've found a very nice male at a local pet shop that I must get. I want to know as much as possible about these snakes, what's needed for them etc. As in, lighting, substrates, food, how often to feed and the cage "furniture" or hides or anything that will be needed. I've read up on plenty of care sheets and books and this is the snake I want for their smaller in size and don't get as large as others. So can anyone hook me up with a shopping list?

I've already got a 20L tank, and screened top. So I am guessing all I need really is substrate, water bowl(s), snake and food..please if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, David :D

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi David, BPs are great snakes, I have 2. You feed them once a week. They are very simple in their needs and don't really require much. They require no specialized lighting but do need a day/night cycle. A bowl big enough for them to soak in if they will (mine don't) and a couple of hides one in the warm end and one in the cool end. You will want a hygrometer to measure humidity and a couple of thermometeres for each end of the tank. For substrate I like cypress mulch for holding moisture.

If you are getting a hatchling make sure it is eating!

The only drawbacks to Balls are the fact tHat they are frequently bad shedders and that darned winter fast! The latter will make you crazy. :eek: My male hasn't eaten since November!

The 20L will be okay for a while but if it turns out that you have one of the larger adults it may be a bit cramped. But that will be a few years down the way(assuming you are talking about a baby).

3. Stratusfaction

Thanks a lot Merlin! There are two different male boas I am looking at, one is 3 weeks and eating well and the other is maybe a year or so old and about 2ft. long. But I do think I want the baby because it'll be mine and it won't have had any other owner, ya know? For a hide what would you suggest? I know my leopard geckos like the little coconut halves. But they aren't nearly large enough for a snake, so what do you use? Also do you have any pics of your set-up?

Thanks, David

4. Merlin

For hides you can use cardboard boxes, dark colored tupperware containers, clay flowerpots. Whatever you can find. The key is something that will be good and dark and small enough that they can curl up tight inside. They like their hides to be a bit close.

5. Stratusfaction

Merlin,

I see you've got a ceramic-like light on the tank and a UV, what is that for? I've read that only the ceramic heat lamp is nescessary.

Thanks, David

6. Merlin

Hmmmm is it my monitor or does this photobucket stuff always seem blurry? Lets try it as an attachment

7. Merlin

The dome is a CHE and the strip light is just leftover from the days when it was actually used for fish. The bulb is just a regular flourescent to light the tank for day time. No UV is needed

8. Stratusfaction

Very cool. I can't wait until I find the perfect BP. :D But first off I have to buy all the necessities and set the tank up as I do any new herp. Thanks Merlin your a life-saver once again.
    Also, any pics of your ball pythons?

-David

9. Merlin

Heres one of the two of them doing the snake dance! They do this all the time and I have yet to figure out what they are looking at!

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That is really cool. I looked at bp's but opted for the hognose because of size. But you never know what will happen when your an addict. :)

11. dinger51

dinger51 Member

Hey there Strat. I just recently got my ball python. I think you will find it to be a great addition to your Herp family. Good luck and if from a pet store, I'm sure you know, make sure you are absolutely sure its healthy. Balls can be finiky as it is. You don't need one that is sick as well.

12. Stratusfaction

Thanks a lot, for all your info everyone. I plan on getting my ball checked at the local vet as soon as I get it, although it looks really healthy already. The one that I am considering getting is about a month old, and he is really good looking.

Thanks again,
    David

13. Merlin

This time of year hatchling Balls are imported in large numbers from Africa. Unless specifically told tht they were captive bred and hatched they should be treated as W/C snakes. Even if captive bred they still need a fecal test for parasites. I once bought a pair of designer morph corns that were so laden with parasites you would have thought they were wild caught!

14. Stratusfaction

Thanks!

The ball I am looking at getting is from a local pet store in which I do know the owner and he told me it was CBB. I have no reason to not believe him, I've gotten many herps from his store(s) and they all did well for me. Thank you all.

-David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.