This Disappears When Logged In

Tarantula Molt!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by purplemuffin, May 29, 2012.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I got to watch the whole thing!

So check it out!

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Confirmed male, but the penny shows how small and young he is, so we still have many years left together. :)

Attached Files:

2. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Great Pictures!!!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That's awesome that you got to watch the whole thing! How long did it take?

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Wow, that is so incredibly creepy lol. In a good way!

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That is so cool! :) Thanks for sharing these pics!

6. purplemuffin

Took three hours. It is so weird to see. It is freaky to just see them on their backs so still. I knew it wasn't a death curl but gee, I can see how people mistake it for one!

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

When I first got Milkshake (my G. rosea) I would read often about how one shouldn't mistake the shedding pose for death but I woke up one morning and looked in her enclosure and screamed I was so surprised she was on her back. It was pretty funny :) Mine has only shed twice. I don't know the sex, but was told female.

8. mld

The molt is so perfect! Thanks for sharing, they are so gorgeous when they finish molting

9. purplemuffin

Most probably female. If you save a molt you can check yourself! Or get her to stand on glass. Kinda wish mine was female, but at least these are slow growers and live a while :( so it will be like having a chameleon lifespan wise.

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

She often stands on the glass. What am I looking for? :) What is the average lifespan of a cham? :)

11. purplemuffin

The chams we looked into live 8 or so years depending on quality of care.

Female tarantulas live forever. G. Rosea females commonly live over 30 years, I think one recently passed away at 47. Males die a year or so after their 'ultimate' molt, aka when they hit spider puberty. So for a slow growing species like mine, that takes 10 years to reach that size. Other spiders grow insanely fast and will reach ultimate molt in a year, so you end up with a spider only living 2 years. Fast growing ones have females that live for less time though, like 10 years I guess.

Sexing from the outside is much trickier, but possible.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5761&stc=1&d=1051680667.jpg

It's not as obvious as sexing from a molt. Someone described it like looking at someone's pants to determine sex. Sure there are visible signs..maybe.

tarantula_molt_005.jpg
    Female molt

Male_Brachypelma_Smithi.jpg
    male molt

If you take a clear picture of the abdomen like the ones above I could probably figure it out. It takes some practice for sure haha.

Attached Files:

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

A live abdomen or a photo of her shed (of which I regrettably have none)?

What are you seeing in the molt that's telling you female? :)

13. purplemuffin

There's basically a piece 'missing' from a molt if it's a male. So hard to explain.

Here's molt sexing again.
    This one is female:
    G. rosea - Arachnogallery
    See the 'lip'?

Here's another female
    G. Rosea - Arachnogallery
    It's where the dark square patch is

Actually, check this thread out:

Sexing for Dummies

But 90% of g. roseas that are sold are female. They are collected in the wild when they are big, so usually males have died out after breeding so just females are left.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Okay!!! :) I totally see what you're referring to. I'm sorry, I know I could have looked that up on my own... :)

15. purplemuffin

It's totally fine, it's REALLLLLY confusing until it finally 'clicks'! I spend months just trying to figure it out on my own and I just couldn't 'see' it. Even still I can't tell with some photos.

16. mld

Now I'm going to get my girl on a piece of glass so I can have a look. Maybe she'll molt soon, she is due, it's been a while!

Photos are great, thanks for sharing.

17. purplemuffin

Yeah post pictures! I need practice for sexing this guys!

18. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Great pics!
    The private owned petshop likes to take the molts and hide them around the store lol! She's scared me more then once!

19. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very interesting yet creepy for me as well.