This Disappears When Logged In

Tapping the head?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi everyone.
    One of the responses to the thread "Routines?" talked about regularly tapping the snake on the head with a soft object as part of the handling routine.
    I think that was posted by Todd.
    Could anyone give me more info on this? I usually drop a light handkerchief over my BRB's head before taking her out of her terrarium, so she doesn't sense the heat in my hand and strike at it before she knows what it is.
    But this sounds like something different.
    I'd like her to get used to being petted on her head any good "To do" tips out there for taming?

Thanks, you've all been fabulous!!

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I just use frequent handling. Once they know you aren't a threat they seem to enjoy being handled. I'm also a firm believer in using feeding tubs. This way the snake learns that not everything that comes into it's cage is a meal.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I agree with Jay. All of our snakes are fed seperate from there enclosure and no longer do they associate us entering there viv with feeding, they know it's handling time !!!

4. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Frequent handling is the old tried and true method. My snakes are so used to it that now all we have to do is open the enclosure and they will come out on their own. It does take time and handling for them to get used to you and trust you.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

I have to agree with all of the above. Frequent handling is a must and I like feed in a seperate tub also.

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Feeding out

Thanks for all the helpful tips. I hope Talyn will eventually like to come out on her own. She's no problem to take out, but she's not exactly running to meet me at this point, either!! (The good part is that I don't have to fight to put her back!)
    Before I got her, she was always fed in her terrarium (terrarium soil substrate) and fed alternately live and F/K. I'd read a lot about the horrors of feeding live and decided to try F/T from the beginning. I also read about the dangers of her swallowing substrate and biting warm things entering the cage, so I opted for feeding out too.
    SSOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did!!! (I made a mistake in the thawing process of the first feeding and both rats burst open!! What a smelly mess!! I'm happy it was in a separate plastic container that was easy to wash out and sterilize!!!)
    I also heard that if you just leave the dead rats for her to find on her own and don't tease her with them, the snake will also become more docile...(not having to attack for food). I tried all of this at the first feeding and it went REALLY well.
    Still curious about the head tapping technique though!

7. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I agree with all the above too.
    Try touching her under her chin first, go slow though so she won't be spooked...just to get her used to being touched that close to her head.
    Good luck :)

8. crash_reborn

crash_reborn Elite Member

i scritch my snakes on the chin like you would a dog - only using the pad of a single finger... i also rub the top of the head also

you may find the foriegn objects that ARENT a part of you may trigger some very interesting and unwanted excitement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.