This Disappears When Logged In

Tank Size

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by mikeB2014, Feb 7, 2014.

1. mikeB2014

mikeB2014 Member

Ok I'm doing my research on corn snakes cause this will be my next reptile, unfortunately it will come from a pet
    store. Right now is a 10 gal a good size to start with? Also is a 29 gal a good size for a adult corn?

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

In my opinion a 40G is the minimum for an adult.

3. mikeB2014

mikeB2014 Member

Ok thank you

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

29gal is too small for an adult. Like Poison said, minimum 40gal. Corns can get quite long and they're quite an active species so they need room to move around.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually the minimum recommended size is a 20 gallon long. Cornsnakes don't get that big. Average is 3 to 5 ft.

6. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Wow, my friend's corn is a behemoth then, pushing 6 feet and it's only 5 years old:) I guess it depends on the feeding, lol. Never heard of a full grown corn that's 3 feet, though O_O What kind of corn stays so small?

7. Majora

Majora Elite Member

My corn is almost 3 now and is about 3 1/2 feet. I've had him since he was a yearling and I've always fed him an appropriately sized prey item once a week. He's in a 20 gallon long at the moment and if he ever outgrew it I'd upgrade, but so far he hasn't.

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Definitely not the recommended by me. If you corn stays in the 3ft mark then I don't see a problem with a 20G but if it hits the 4ft+ mark then I would go no lower then a 40G. My male corn is pushing 5ft and in a 75G.

The way I like to house my snakes is the snake should not be any longer (or not by much) then the length and width of the enclosure.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

While the extra space is nice it is most definitely not a requirement. A 20 long or a 29 gallon is just fine.