This Disappears When Logged In

Taming

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ornateguy01, Nov 16, 2011.

1. ornateguy01

ornateguy01 Member

incase anyones having problems with taming there young monitors i thought id just share what i do..first thing is in the morning before i turn on my lil guys heat lamp i hold him for 15 to 20 minutes and then put him back in his home,the next thing i do (when i get home from work) i take him out for an additional 30 to 45 minutes with 15 mins of that letting him swim around in the bath tub unbothered(that way he can get most of his energy out) by the time i take him out he is usually floating around like a bum :) i hold him for another 15 to 20 minutes and he just rests comfortably. keep in mind it might not work out to well the first time but keep at it and they will definitely tame down ;)

2. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Most members are going to disagree withyour training method. It is invasive and stressful. I vouch for the hands off method which allows the monitor to gain your trust.

Mdfmonitor has posted excelllent videos on YouTube for lizard taming and socializing.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yup, what Randy said.
    How are you 'taking' him out?

Is this the first for you at trying this method or has it resulted before in a healthy 'tame' adult monitor?

4. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

I don't think holding him in the morning when you turn his lights on is such a bad idea. It dips to around 70f at night when my lights are off and my beardie is pretty cold and groggy when I go to turn on his light. I'm sure picking him up would be warming and comforting and allow him to associate your hand with a nice place to warm up.

However, I am not experienced in Monitors and am just saying what I feel about the situation and the 45 minutes everyday in the afternoon seems like a bit much. But if it's working, good for you!

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you are supposing the monitor will be asleep in the open, not true, they most surely hide in a secure place, therefore, removing the animal from there forcefully is most stressful, and not recommended...
    Varanids (particularly the larger species) can indeed learn the keeper means no harm, and as they mature, many seem to become "calmer", but they are individuals, and there are no guarantees, but in my opinion, always worth trying ("tractable" = less stress), for animal and keeper!
    I recommend anyone wanting to try this watches Mark`s (MDFMONITOR`s) excellent video on building trust..... There`s really no better way than with food!

6. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Force handling a monitor is NOT taming it. The monitor is giving up.

A ” tame” monitor comes up to you on its own, crawls on you on its own, is still active, using its tongue and exploring its surroundings. It is active and curious.

Unless its an emergency, it's never okay to grab a monitor.

I also disagree with giving your monitor a bath. It's very stressful, and if your humidity is correct in your enclosure, your monitor will never need a bath. All your doing is teaching your monitor to expect stress and fear when it sees you.

7. jamesw

jamesw Elite Member

Ornateguy, I'm assuming you have an ornate monitor. How old/big is this monitor? What type/size enclosure are you using? What are your temps/humidity in the enclosure? Any pics of your monitor and enclosure.

I am also a believer in the hands off method.

8. BarelyBreathing

Here is another good point. Force handling also makes your monitor unpredictable. This is not something your want in a giant lizard who has a reputation for aggression when he discovers he is large enough to out power you.

9. ornateguy01

ornateguy01 Member

To every one that commented back yes it is an ornate monitor and i doubt I'm stressing him out taking him out of his cage because he doesn't panic and hiss or tail whip or run from me,he just lets me pick him up.

@murrindindi yeah he actually does close his eyes and rest his head on my thumb and thats with me not restraining him a bit so i supposed he was falling asleep.
    I do have one picture of him on here and i will soon add more including his setup. as far as his bath I'm sure he doesn't need it but I'm pretty sure he enjoys it.
    I don't fill it so he can't touch the ground.

@ anthony14 thanks for one of the only positive replys and yes i really do believe its working.

10. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

oh oh *waves handy frantically in the air*
    My question was if this has worked for you before?
    I think you said in another thread that you have a 4 yr old Sav and I was wondering if this worked in "taming" that monitor.
    Not being sarcastic or anything just curious. I know monitors have individual personalities.

11. BarelyBreathing

He's closing his eyes and testing his head because he is stressed. This is the classic sign of a stressed out monitor who has given up on life.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It is indeed a sign of stress, but to suggest the monitor has given up on life is quite ridiculous, they do not give up their lives that easily, I can assure you!
    Why on earth do you suppose they linger for a couple of years, even under at times such awful conditions, they fight with every last breath to live!

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, in my experience, what you`re doing is totally wrong for the animal.
    I know how "tractable" varanids behave, I`ve had a number over the years, yours is not anything other than terrified of you, in spite of what you think.
    I`m trying to help you, please don`t take offense! ;)
    Can you show a few photos? Thanks!

14. BarelyBreathing

I say this because if the OP keeps this behavior up, the monitor in question will soon quit basking in fear of the keeper, stop eating, and will otherwise fail to thrive. I see this all too often.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I only disagree that the animal is at deaths door, which is exactly what you said.

16. BarelyBreathing

Yes, monitors who have given up on life behave this way.

17. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

I agree with barelybreathing. Had it not given up on life I'm sure it wouldn't "fall asleep" in a persons hand. It will at least put up some sort of fight or show a sign of defense/offense, i.e. Hissing, squirming, etc.
    Nice to see you join the hands off club, Stefan ;)

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

This is no way to "tame" any reptile.

To close its eyes is fear submission at the very least, and as the others mentioned what proceeds fear submission is going off of food, ceasing to bask, and general malaise.

Earning trust means not violating hides, not removing the monitor from its burrow (if this is the case) and not taking on the role of a large predator seeking a meal which is what you're doing when you force handle. I'm assuming that if your ornate monitor is small enough to hold as you're describing, it's probably terrified of being eaten and likely playing dead, and possibly even lethargic or sick. Re evaluating your husbandry might offer a clue as to why your little guy isn't fighting back or against the force-handling.

Despite having Giardia and severe lethargy, my Savannah still fought against the handling I had to do to medicate him. He was tail-whipping, huffing and puffing, hissing and biting all the way. I had to noose him to get him out of the tank. And he hadn't even basked yet!!! :)

I am coming from the best place when I say these things, we all love our Varanid companions and desire their trust, there are just better ways to earn it! :)

19. ornateguy01

ornateguy01 Member

@kriminaal/mike nah i havnt posted anything about a sav, and no i haven't raised a monitor on this before but got the info from someone who has raised a beautiful water monitor..

20. ornateguy01

ornateguy01 Member

@murindinni no offense taken this is a learning forum right..