This Disappears When Logged In

Taming Water Monitor

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Ben molter, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Hi all, I've had my water monitor approx two months now, I handle it usually once a day but still at times it can be aggressive and does not like being held is there any tips on taming it? thanks

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Since he's still being aggressive as you say. I would not handle him at all for a while. Let him get used to you coming and going during feeding time.

3. Ben molter

Ben molter Member

Ok I'll do that thankyou

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Stefan should come around shortly. He's done wonders with larger monitor species before. Should have some good tips.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks Mike, unfortunately on this occasion I have to agree with you that the only way to gain "trust" is by not force handling at all unless its a genuine emergency (time and lots and lots of patience)..
    To the OP: It took months and months before my adult male would even allow me to go in the room without him running for cover, I found sitting on the floor in front of the enclosure helped, after some time he would remain above ground even though he could see me clearly, from there I used to put bits of food on a saucer in the enclosure right in front of me, he began to get much more relaxed, from that point he would even scratch at the glass to come out (see pic)...
    I now also have a juvenile "female" (fingers crossed), after 4 months I cannot even get through the door, I have to peep through a small crack (no, the door isn`t cracked, just very slightly opened)! I cannot even get a photo (apart from the one taken on the night she was delivered (see below), I know she`s growing and eating well and is active throughout the enclosure meaning she`s acclimated to it, that`s my only concern just now...
    My young adult male is now 234cm and still growing albiet much more slowly, I think the "female" looks around 65cm or so (she measured 46cm the night she came).

Male wanting to explore "outside"...

7754359288_303285f862[1].jpg

8242124900_2acaccabd6[1].jpg

Female, I left her in the container she came in overnight (she was delivered at 10p.m). I measured her the next morning before putting her in her enclosure...

001.JPG

100_1693.JPG

Attached Files:

arojas7112 likes this.
  6. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

She's growing at a nice rate! He's looking good too! I'm excited for you Stefan!