This Disappears When Logged In

Taming Help!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by replover, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

LOL,,,,,best of luck. Some will eventually calm down. We had Sid (an Okeetee Corn) for months and he never mellowed. My hands looked like hamburger after a while, then again, Ring was the same and he calmed down within 2 or 3 weeks. Just be patient and get a box of band-aids.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

just let him settle in for awhile and go from there. good luck with him. :)

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok! I managed to handle him today! For a little while. It struck at me like 10 times while picking it up (I wore gloves, LOL!) but when it realizes it wasn't going to stop me, it started to try to hide instead and run away. It's really slippery not easy to get a hold of, as I'm used to holding heavier bodied and slower boids. I finally got it out of the tank and it sort of settled down in my hand. It wasn't moving around in my hand just stayed there. Then I moved a little bit and it freaked and kept trying to run away, faster than my hands could move in front of it, so I had to grip it a little bit (is this ok?). It's really fast. After a while I put him back in the tank.

I don't know if the handling session was a good thing though because he seems very scared. I looked at him for a bit through the tank after I put him back and he kept striking at me through the glass, like 10 times at least once ever 2 seconds or so.

4. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Antony please leave it alone for atleast a week so it can fully settly no handling touching just change water.

5. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Not to make you more nervous, but a lot of places use rat snakes to teach people how to properly handle wild venemoussnakes because even in captivity they are incredibly agressive, I guess the logic is "if you can handle this, yo can handle anything." Good Luck, you are probably in for a long breaking process, at least the bites are not bad.

6. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

give it some time im lucky i never got bit by my king snake:D not the same story with my BRB im afraid

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i know mrhickey didn't intend it(i hope ;) ) but please don't go straight to hots cause you handled a rat snake...that goes for everyone...i don't want to read about your deaths on HC. play safe...

8. petsareusrescue

petsareusrescue Elite Member

We ususally recomend waiting 3 to 5 days to let it adjust to its new habitat. There are several ways to stop it from biting, we use the flat part of a hand in the fist position. They try to bite but can not usually get a grip.
    Other ones we just let them bite but put a little alchol on our hands they do not like the taste.
    Give it time

9. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

that is not what I meant at all, there is a lot of other trainging involved, but the snakle they use for demonstrations is a Rat Snake, sorry for the wording error, I would hate to think that anyone would try for a dangerous animal without proper training.

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

no worries dude i know you never meant it that way... i was just covering incase some stoopid person understood it that way...lol

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here now!
    There are no stupid people on this forum! LOL!
    But I understand where you are coming from!;)

12. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

he he....i know :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.