This Disappears When Logged In

Taming Help!

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by replover, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok I got a leaucistic texas rat snake. I know they are supposed to be aggressive but I didn't know they were THIS aggressive! This is the first day. Basically I can't do anything. I can't put his hide box in there because he strikes at everything. Even if I just try to open the enclosure, it strikes at the opening. I have no idea how I will change the water bowl, which I put in before I put the snake in.

I had read care sheets saying they are aggressive, but with daily handling (except 48 hours after feeding), they calm down. But how the heck am I supposed to handle it like that??

They also said that they automatically grow out of it after a while and are calmer as adults, is this true?

Should I just let it bite me? So that it knows it doesn't help? Or do they not have the capacity to learn this and they are just sort of biting by instinct?

Also, how come it makes a rattling sound when it coils up into the S position?

Ok now its even striking at me through the glass, just because I'm sitting 3 feet away from the enclosure at the computer.

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Just put your hand in if it tags you it tags you.They are a agressive snake,When it comes to getting it out either get a small hook for now or just stick your hand in if you can get it from behind and pick it up it will be better for you if not try not to grab from the top make a sweeping movement for it. and it should settle down.My boa is still abit aggressive but if you pick her up from behind she is fine with you.You will take hits so you might aswell get used to it.

And put a cloth over its tank so its dark in there for a day or two.

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Will it ever settle down?

4. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

That depends on the snake! They are all diffrent some snakes settle some don't thats the fun in them.

5. replover

replover Elite Member

Also,what am I gonna do with it once it's taken out? I don't think it will sit on my lap calmly like my other snakes do...

6. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

Just let it move between your hand if it wants to bite it will but most of them seem to calm down when in hand.Did u get it from a pet store or a breeder?

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Rofl!! much luck to you rep. I hope he tames down for ya...and Aiden good advice :D

8. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

oo sav don't make me blush hehe

9. replover

replover Elite Member

Actually, I don't know if I should wait a little before handling? Because afterall it is in the new cage for the first day.

10. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

you should wait 3days like any other animal let it settle in this is why you should have water and all hides in to start with before you pick up the animal.

11. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes, wait a bit before handelling him so he has time to adjust...

12. replover

replover Elite Member

Doesn't seem very fun to me now. I have 5 pets currently and many before over the years and I have never had anything this aggressive.

How damaging are the bites? Let me get prepared.

13. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

hmm prehaps some one else could help with that i would say if they get you could as in a feeding response there will be blood and the snake may loos some teeth how big is the snake?

14. replover

replover Elite Member

Well I can do ok with some blood, even though I dread it, but if it will loose teeth then I don't think I should just "take the hits"!

It's about 18 inches or so, still small. But I obviously can't stretch it out to measure!

I do have water dish and water, hide and substrate in there before I picked up the snake. But it turned out when I picked up the animal the hide was a little too big so I wanted to change a smaller one into the tank.

I just tried putting a plastic spoon in there and it didn't strike...

It was fed by previous owner last tuesday, so I will feed it next tuesday. Do they tend to strike less when they aren't hungry? Well, I guess that's useless because I can't handle it after it eats until its hungry again so bleh...

15. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

nothing can happen to you if your tagged, it is scary though. LOL
    i knew someone who got a corn hatchling, it struck at him and he pulled back so hard he smashed the tank. rofl

just brave it and it will eventually calm down. Don't restrain the snake, just let it cruise around your hand and stuff.

how old is it?

16. replover

replover Elite Member

I don't know the age for sure because size is also a function of how much it was fed, but it is only about 18 inches long or so.

And what's that rattling sound it makes, like a rattle snake! That's scary! I never read that in any article that they do that.

17. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

They do that as a deffence it to make the threat think tehy are dangerous my corn does it i belive alot of colourbrids do it.

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL Anthony! Here we go again. ;)
    You have got to be patient!
    With a new snake I advise putting him in the enclosure (hides included! and leave it alone for at least a week, even two with nervous snakes.) This snake is freaked out. It has just been jerked out of its world and moved to a different planet! you have to give it time to acclimate. Be sure and get that hide in there so the snake has a place to retreat to. This too wil reduce aggression.
    The bite from an 18 inch snake is negligable. In fact you may not even realize you have been bitten if it is a tag and release bite. It will feel like you have been scratched with a peice of velcro. Their teeth are like tiny needles and it may not even bleed. However it is something to be avoided so that you don't accidently break off a tooth. A feeding bite is a little worse as they will hold on and try to swallow you! And allowing the snake to bite you really doesn't teach them anything.
    After the week is over if the snake is still striking you can simply drop a cloth over its head and pick it up. If you keep the clothe betweeen your hands and the snakes head it will help to prevent you being bitten. From some reason many snakes, once in hand will start to calm down.

19. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok so I am not afraid now of the bites, as you guys say it won't cause me serious harm, and you guys know your stuff. But how do I make sure it doesn't loose teeth?

20. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok I got the hide in there. WOO HOO! What a rush!

The hide is slightly taller than the snake itself in thickness, and allows him to curl up into a disk inside, so it is a tight fit. That's desirable, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.