This Disappears When Logged In

Taming a nile monitor

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by grim, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grim

grim Elite Member

I just got a nile monitor but i know from experience that the babies can be downright mean and if not taken care of properly you can end with a big mean lizard. Anyone have any suggestions on how i go about "taming" it? In the past ive had a petshop owner tell me to let it bite me as much as possible as a baby so it wouldn't have the interest to bite me when it got bigger. Would that work? or is there another way. I Have no problems with being bitten by it, he's only seven inches long right now and can only put pressure on my hand.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I would suggest letting him get used to his surroundings first. Then let him get used to your hands being in the tank offering food and water and cleaning the enclosure, slowly starting to handle him and letting him know you are not a threat. Most baby'juvenile herps have the basic instinct that whatever is larger than them is out to eat them. It may take a little time.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Once hes used to your hands handle him a couple times a day and try hand feeding him "treats" such as wax worms and butter worms.

4. grim

grim Elite Member

can i hand feed him his actual food? right now he's eating dusted crickets and goldfish

5. venus

venus Founding Member

You can if you use some tongs,,,but I would only do it occasionally,,,dont want your fingers to wind up as a snack for him :D

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Use some feeding tongs for his regualr food, you want him to associate you with something pleasant...:D

7. grim

grim Elite Member

how am i going to get him to differentiate between being fed and me wanting to hold him?

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

He'll get used to you being "in" his territory,,,and sooner or later realize you are not a threat.

9. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

and by the way...letting him bite you as much as possible as a baby will only make him used to biting you and teach him that biting you is "ok". I dont think you want an adult nile that thinks biting you is an ok thing to do :0

10. grim

grim Elite Member

in that case its good he actually isn't all that inclined to bite
    for a baby. I fed him with my tongs and seemed to take well to that.

11. chris7033

chris7033 Elite Member

the best bet is to let him get used to you as a baby maybe leave your hand in his cage to come and investigate..............but with niles they seem to get docile as babys but they can start getting nasty as adults rarely do you find a docile adult ..... you need to think of where a nile is from and its hunting grounds its not a apex pred it has to run and fend of all sorts of animals from lions and crocs to birds of prey and even other monitors this is why they seldom ever calm ....they are still wild animals and even if its cative bred still a primitive animal which is driven by instinct.heh its even possible that a large nile will stop fearing you and see you as a food source no matter if your ti big to tackle or not its bite will be very painfull and messy

12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I read in a book that most reptiles can't really be what you what considered a pet compared to a cat/dog.The author said that they simply tried to duplicate it's natural environment as possible and they only kept them because they were interesting to keep and looked beautiful.I hope this helps.

13. originalrtb

originalrtb Elite Member

as far as tamming... wont happen.. a reptile will never be tame, espacially a monitor... but you can make him use to being handled, frequent, short handling, starting with just putting your hand in the cage, do that for a few days, then try touching it, do that for a few days. the try lifting it up only for a few seconds, for a few days.. and you get the point...

14. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Hi there, we have nile monitors here were i live and the are nasty buggers. Tail whipping and nast bites... but i love them though. I have never seen any one here in South Africa tame a nile monitor but i know people here that have tamed rock monitors(varanus albigularis) they have caught. Hope you come right though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.