This Disappears When Logged In

Talyn's new Tropical Terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by BlackJack, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Well, as most of you know, we had a vicious mite infestation, so I trashed Talyn's last backdrop which I had made out of construction foam. I was too afraid that any of those crevices could contain eggs or mites. See http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=806 if you want to know how it looked before.

Since I had to take the whole terrarium apart to "nuke" (with permethrin) and clean it, I decided to re-do the whole thing. This time I painted my tropical scene right onto the back wall with acrylic paints. Then I attached some fake plants directly to the wall to keep them out of the substrate and give the scene a bit of depth. I painted the inside of the "pool" to look like the little waterfall is running into it. (I have an inner plastic container which holds the water -- easier and cleaner to replace without getting substrate everywhere!)

I like this set up even better! I think the background looks more realistic and Talyn even (sometimes) climbs on this new branch late at night. See my other thread with a sneak pic of that: http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=1928

Attached Files:

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Looks very nice :) . I wish I had an artistic talent.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Outstanding!!

4. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Simply breathtaking!!!
    I wish I had that talent...

5. Jade

Jade Supporting Member

thats wonderful, i have to paint the backround for my Uros cage one of these days
    what kind of acrylics dd you use, just the kind like they have at the craft store?

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I love it :D I should do that with one of my cages some day, but right now all I got is standard size tanks.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone... I'm really happy with it too.
    Yes, Jade, I used regular acrylic paints from the craft store. If you are painting on wood or an absorbent surface, you should paint a layer or two of gesso on it first -- otherwise the paint will get absorbed into the wood like a sponge and look dull. (Besides wasting all your paint!!)
    Gesso seals the wood and makes a nice white surface to paint on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.