This Disappears When Logged In

Talyn update continued

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by BlackJack, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Haha..she does indeed have to be getting closer :D. I hope she has lots of nice healthy baby BRBs for you

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry, still nothing!

We are STILL waiting!! :( I'm about to go nuts here... everyone's asking if she's REALLY pregnant.
    Heck if I know. But the eggs were still in her in April and June (and some looked promising)... they'll have to get pushed out at some point, even if they are just unfertilized slugs, right?
    She ate again last night. It was a bigger rat (90g) so she checked it out carefully for a while before deciding to eat it.
    According to my newer calculations: yesterday was 5 months POS. According to my older calculations she's 8 months and 9 days.
    I hope to have some more interesting news for you all soon! :rolleyes:

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Andrea, lovely to hear how Talyn's getting on. I don't mean to dishearten you but from the time scales and the photos it doesn't seem as if she is still gravid. Her scales should be spread apart, as though she has just eaten a very large rat and she shouldn't be eating, but then I may be wrong, so just wait and see i guess... I'm not 100% sure but the eggs could have been reabsorbed?

4. RickL

RickL New Member

Hi Andrea , I only come here when my sweetheart brings up discussions of interest according too replies and or areas of matters or concerns. I am pleased with your achievements here with the brazilian rainbows boas. As a long term boa breeder myself, I will point out a few things on your statements and the replies you received as well as the boas. It appears your new in breeding boas, however your knowledge is outstanding and according too my sweetheart who knows you, your record keeping is great and much appreciated in this area. Regarding boas, as breeders know, there is the brumation period, my brumations always occurred from Mid November too Jan 1st of every year, second you have courtship, third is ovulation , forth is copulation, now between all these four steps, I leave my boas together from Jan. 1 too April 15 every year..From mid april until August is the actual gestation period, What ever happened , happened here during this time frame. Neonates come between August 1 too the third week of August depending on maintaining proper gestation temps. Further more the gravid female should be only fed prey items 1/3 or 1/4 the size of there normal prey outside being gravid every two weeks if accepted and the last month of gestaion , the gravid female should NOT EAT AT ALL TOO AVOID PREMATURE BIRTH OF THE NEONATES. Now I hope people with concerns on the matter understand all these steps are taken. The snake is not gravid all these months as you can see in the post. Your snake does appear gravid, maybe not a big clutch, but I seen the proof from a breeders view. Good luck with your neonates. Also one last thing, the snakes seem too drop on a rainy night , for the reason in the wild, snakes naturally do this too wash away birthing fluid affiliated with the neonates too prevent predators from eating the babies.... Good luck and take care...... cheers

5. BlackJack

Thanks Rachel and Rick
    I've been on the same two separate trains of thought for the last few months!
    If she's still gravid, I'm fairly sure there won't be many babies, (maybe all slugs), as she isn't huge and has been accepting small rats regularly. (Rick, she used to be fed 200g rats -- I've been feeding her 40g rats every ten days or so and she's always taken them eagerly. This last rat was 90 gr. but that's still quite small for her.)
    Yes, I'm completely new to breeding boas: this was not a planned breeding. I did not brumate her and I only put her with a male for 3 days after I saw the follicles on the X-ray. I've read that rainbow boa gestation can be 4-8 months, with 5 about average. So more waiting for now.
    I've misted her enclosure a few times during rainstorms here, in case she could sense the pressure drop, I thought I'd make it realistic and moist. I'll keep trying and praying for rainstorms! :)
    PS -- Rick, who is your "sweetheart"?

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

:eek: that would be me Andrea, ive not been around for a long while, I have been so busy selling up in the UK and such, I am now in Florida living with Rick..

I think Talyn should have those lil guys soon, im pretty sure, my fingers are crossed for you and cant wait to see the lil babies :p

Good luck, and i'm watching this thread for the good news :D

7. RickL

RickL New Member

Andrea, the situation is tuff saying on the outcome. Only 3 days with the male without the ovulation, too be point blank, this little guy got straight too the point. I have seen only a few female boas produce in over 15 years produce with a few days of contact, but bottom line it does happen periodically, the un-fort. thing is many females don't as a result the females usually have the slugs if a ovulation occurred without the fertilization. I am a strong believer that there is no such thing that a female boa resorbs these slugs or babies. For the most part why people make these statements is for the fact , many people have separated there boas a the first sign of ovulation before the follicles can be established and fertilized by the male. When many see this there response is usually " WoW, my female boa is gravid" , as you know with your knowledge already, this is a common problem when people breed boas. When the boas do not produce is where you here them say, "the boa resorbed the slugs or neonates" when the truth of the matter is they did not give the snakes proper time. I do believe on a female boa however like may be in your case, but its tuff saying, that a female boa, may retain sperm from the male until the ovulation is complete. Like I said your male may have got straight too the point. No courtship geez is like no foreplay,lol. Anyways Donna R. from the greater Manchester, England a.k.a. " Steel Rip" is my sweetheart, like she has stated , she is currently residing now with me in Florida with me. Cheers from both donna and I and have a great day, and good luck with your outcome.

8. BlackJack

WOW Donna, long time no posts from you!!! I was thinking "I only know one Donna from here, but didn't she live in England?!" It sounds like you are happy and making big changes in your life! Congratulations! Good for you!!! :)
    It's great to know you're still keeping an eye on us, even if you haven't had time to post much.
    Rick, thanks for all the info. I know I should have had Crais and Talyn together longer, but at the time I was pretty convinced she was already gravid from retained sperm from a different male.
    Whatever they got up to in those 3 days it was enough for him to infect her several types of internal parasites. (rhabdias, strongyloides, flagellates) Hopefully "rainbow boa sperm" was also one of the "parasites" he passed on!

On the X-ray I only counted about 20 eggs/follicles. On the ultrasounds, it looked as if most of the eggs were unfertilized and a few fertilized. I'm not expecting more than 5-10 babies at most; and I'd be thrilled with even just one. :D
    At this point, I just want it done with, honestly. I need to treat her for the parasites, but don't want to start if she's gravid. Also I miss handling her and interacting with her, she's a really great animal.

9. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Yep made big changes alright lol...Loving it here in US though..

Good luck with Talyn...fingers still crossed :D

10. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

HI Donna! Glad to see you again...and welcome the good ole USA! There is a possibility of me being in Orlando this coming December! Time and money will only tell...kids are in Marching band...and if they get to go so do I lol....

11. RickL

RickL New Member

Andrea, regarding parasitic issues, as you know while a female reptile is gravid, very few medications either orally or injectable can be administered. As a former reptile vet tech for Dr. Sudo of Miami, regarding parasitic meds of his choice is ivermectin , 1cc per gallon of spring water preferred too be used as drinking water if its not a serious case once the follicles and or neonates are passed. This solution is not only used with reptiles, but mammals as well. Its too treat present parasitic issues as well as a precautionary medicine solution. I utilize this solution base every 6 months on all my reptiles and never had a issue with it. Something many people do not know is this solution does not only treat internal parasitic issues on a precautionary measure , but external parasitic measures such as mites and ticks. As we all know mites are a pain. The solution mix enters the bloodstream through drinking water if mixed. Thank you all for welcoming my sweetheart too the USA, she is a honor and treasure too my life and friends like the ones she met here and on donnas and my site has been a blessing on her welcome. Cheers from Donna and I ......

12. BlackJack

Giving up

Well, sadly I think if Talyn had been gravid, she probably isn't anymore. We had another ultrasound done today and saw absolutely nothing. Not even discernable slugs.
    We've decided to start treating her for the lungworms and strongyloides, as I don't want them to weaken her immune system further. She's already lost several hundred grams and is not looking too great. If she IS still gravid, I realize this could cause her to miscarry, but at this point, I feel I must look after her health first and risk losing any offspring.
    If she had any babies they'd very likely have the parasites as well -- and perhaps this was the problem from the beginning.

Sorry to have put you all through this. Trust me, no one is more bummed about it than me! :(

Thanks for all the support and encouragement!

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Andrea I am sorry to hear this. I know how disappointed you must be. But look at it this way, when you get Talyn back up to snuff there will alway be another breeding season.
    And we will be right here next time holding our breath with you!

14. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awww Andrea...****hugs**** You were looking so forward to some babies...in time...there is a reason for everything....get her healthy again....then you can have babies.....best wishes.....

15. venus

venus Founding Member

I agree with Lyn...it will happen when the time is right...hugs anyway, I know your disappointed.

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sorry to hear this :(

17. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

awwwwwwwwww!!!! what a bummer!!! :( well hopefully next time after she's all nice and healthy again. then we can see all the great pics of the babies. :)

18. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear this as well. It has been a long ordeal. I'm sure that after the both of you get through this doing it again will not be on the immediate agenda- but you never know these things.

19. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

Just think though, now you have even MORE to look forward to! And the next time around you'll be sure she's healthy. Then you can shower us with pictures of your beautiful babies :)

20. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

She is a beautiful snake, and her enclosure is very nice as well. You've done a great job with her. Here's hoping she pops soon and you have many little baby Talyns slithering around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.