This Disappears When Logged In

Tagged!! Woohoo!!!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Flint, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Tonight Jacket finally tagged me haha that's my first snake bite ever!!

Actually I'm not sure it counts as a bite. He kind of just opened his mouth and hit my finger with it lol. No clamping down, but 3 teeny tiny punctures where I bled a few drops. It really was nothing. I'm just happy to say I managed not to flinch (much lol) and kept handling him till he settled down.

043cff.jpg

This was after I put him down, just a little dried blood. I can barely see the punctures even now lol.

I know full well why he bit, he's just not used to being handled. Soon as I open his cage he is in an S-Curve, and moves away as fast as he can when I touch him. So i give him time, eventually move my hand under him, and pull him out very gently. I was holding him in my left hand, and pulled out my camera with my right, soon as I brought the camera near his face, he tagged one of my straggling fingers lol.

I'm really quite glad it happened, it gave me the chance to show him he needs to settle down and that biting will get him no where. By the time I did put him away (about 5 minutes later) I was able to lightly stroke his back without him flinching and getting tense. Normally that would send him slithering away from me as fast as possible. Hopefully I can get him calmed a bit more before his first vet check-up next week. He also ate a nice sized rat for me no problem, I just had to walk away lol. He wouldn't eat with me there.

041gm.jpg

The big bad culprit right after tagging me. lol after this he didn't give any more S-Curves. I think I'm making progress :p

Attached Files:

2. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

You mean no more S-Curves AFTER that picture of him in a beautiful S-Curve???

Um.... is Congratulations the right word here????? :confused: ;)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Yes, it sounds like congratulation for your first snake bite, if there is blood then its a bite; a sad bite mind you, but a bite.( a love bite ):x I guess it happen to all of you snake owners eventually. You took it very well and neither Jacket or your were hurt.

4. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i wish i would have had a way to take a pic a week ago, i went to visit my new boa before i even got her and got tagged but good, there is still the perfect outline of her bottom jaw on my hand and a slight bruise on my thumb, and i would say congrats! the bite is what really made me want to take that boa home lol, guess you could say its a "tame the beast" kind of love.

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

haha yeah I felt like it just needed to happen. He's a feisty little guy, and thats just fine with me :x

I know someday I will get a real bite with bruising and bleeding all over the place, but hopefully it won't be from Jacket. I'm hoping I can teach him there is no point in biting, especially if I want to let my family and friends hold him. For now I will be the only one holding him until I'm sure he's ok with being handled.

6. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

thats how it is with my boa for now, but since i got her home she has changed for the better big time!

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Only we could get so excited about a bite, lol.

My JCP is a little nippy, but he is calming down. He was far far worse when I first brought him home (he also was a little on the slender side - they had only been feeding mice.)

Congrats!

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

OH YEAH!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Nothing like that very first time...ahh memories. Nice looking little love nip, but I have faith in you- you CAN do better! Thanks for sharing! ;)

9. Frognut

ROFL!! Seriously, David --- DO. NOT. ENCOURAGE. THIS! :p

I knew you guys were um.... a little off -- but....:eek::">:-"o:):cool:

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe there should be a new section in the forum for getting Tagged with pictures. Sound like it would be popular and Murrindindi would just love it.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

There are only two kinds of snake keepers!
    Those who HAVE been bitten,....
    And those who will be!;)

12. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Hahaha! That's hilarious Merlin!

Oh yeah, I'm in the will be section... Especially with the snakes I want to own in the future! I have no doubt that if the future baby rainbow boa doesn't bite me, the blood python will! At least once!

13. Frognut

Yeah, I know, I know.... I just plan on holding off on making it into that second group for as long as possible ;)

But I really can't see me being that golly-gosh-darn thrilled when it does happen :rolleyes: (Although, ya never know - stranger things have happened..)

14. Merlin

I HAVE been bitten and I will honestly tell you that I DO tend to avoid it occuring!

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I avoid it too, but it doesn't bother me (well, then again, I have over a dozen piercings, so that might go a little ways towards explaining it.)

16. Flint

Flint Elite Member

This is exactly why I made this post, I knew you guys would share my enthusiasm :D

haha yes Merlin and I am happy to join the club! and David don't worry, I'm sure I can and I will do much better! haha I'll try for that nice bruising and perfect outline of the snake's jaw line top and bottom. That would just be awesome wouldn't it? :-"

I think I was actually just happy for Jacket lol. He had been showing me that beautiful S-Curve so much I knew he was thinking about it, so I'm glad he finally did it and hopefully got it out of his system lol.

mld I agree, a tagged section would be great. My mom has a phobia of snakes, she thinks they are all out to get her and they will tear her limb from limb, even a corn snake lol. But she doesn't have as big of a problem with lizards. I know I don't have experience with a real hunger strike, but I tend to think because of the way the teeth are designed, lizards do much more damage than snakes relative to their size. A tagged section would be perfect for me to show people (like my mom) what a snake bite looks like.

17. Merlin

I have been nailed by a 14 ft python and I would rather do that again than take a bite from an adult iguana any day of the week!

18. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Steph, I normally try to avoid a bite like Merlin says- but, once it.is done,you can get upset and scare everyone around you to death, or you can have some fun with it. I have fun! If I get tagged and don't joke around, my wife would realize the bite is a LOT worse than she thinks. So, it is like a Public Service Announcement (sort of). :D.

Merlin- I have seen the teeth on iguanas- I would much rather get nailed by a 14 foot python than a ticked off iggy too!

Michele- I agree, I think a tagged column would be great, although, I normally just post them in General Discussion or in the section to which the snake belongs.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would take a snake over just about anything! I have been bit by cockatoos, eagles, alligators, opossums, macaws, snapping turtles, kinajous, etc. The snake is by far the easiest to deal with, and the least painful.

20. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

lol!!! Nice, well we all get tagged eventually, it IS a right of passage, be proud! ;) :)