This Disappears When Logged In

Tadpoles...

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by sunnyeyes, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sunnyeyes

sunnyeyes New Member

Hi there. I am new to this forum since I have found tadpoles...LOTS of them...in my water garden that I haven't opened yet for the year. I have no idea what to do with them and how to keep them alive. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what to do and what not to do? I was planning on cleaning the pond out from the winter and getting the filter running and all this weekend, but I am thinking that is probably out until these guys get a little bigger and won't get sucked fast to the filter. Any suggestions????

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. Is it possible for you to re-locate them ? that way you can get your garden going.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Put something over your filter intake if you can, like some old pantyhose. Leave in some of the leaves/junk because that is what they will eat. Tadpoles are great for keeping ponds clean.

4. wjboelema

wjboelema Member

Where do you live? If the tads are easy to find, my guess is that they are toad tads of some kind.

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

For a pond filter, you would need something around the intake valve and then screen or pantyhose -- the tads I found would get pulled into a regular filter for the tank, so they definitely would get sucked into a pond filter.

It would be a pain to try to pull them out (I've done it WAY too many times as they always seem to be laying eggs in the wrong place)

However, waiting may be a good idea, but will probably give the frogs/toads time to add more to your bounty.:rolleyes:

The tadpoles would make a great addition to the pond, my suggestion would be to could create a barrier around the filter intake valve - like a wire cage and cover it with screen (window screen). This would lessen the pull to where the tads could swim away from it and not get sucked onto the screen. You would have to manually pull the leaves and other debris that would stick to the screen away to allow for water flow.

Give it a week or two to settle out and then remove the cage and let it flow normally. You may lose some tadpoles, but you should retain enough to keep your pond full of happy little frogs! If the filter doesn't put a huge current in the pond, once the frogs find your spot - they will be back to lay more eggs. And they will head toward a 'quieter' section.

You really won't need to do anything to care for them, as Liz said, the leaf litter at the bottom will provide the nutrients and stuff they need and once they grow legs, they will hop out to find food.

Just don't use chemicals in the pond for cleaning or anything.

Good luck!