This Disappears When Logged In

Tadpoles!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by MadDog, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

OK I went out to one of my cousins ponds and there was hundreds of tadpoles in it. They were all smaller than my pinkie nail. I collected some and brought them home to watch there metamorphosis. I have found numerous care sheets on them, but wanted yalls input on how yall care for them. Thanks.

2. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

do you know what kind of tads they are, or what frogs are common in your area? Pics would be helpful once Liz and the other frogaholics get here

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I know what type of frog they are, but I don't know what they are called. I am going to take pics tomorrow of the tads. I'll try and get pics of the frogs later this week. Since they are soooo small, is there any type of filter possible to use or not? The least thing I would want to do is hurt the little guys. The second least thing I want to do is alot of water changes lol, but it would be worth it.

4. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

OK here are some pics of them. They are in a one gallon icecream container for right now. I will be moving them soon into the thirty gallon; my scorps are getting a front opening enclosure.

Attached Files:

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I had a small tank that came with a small filter and I wrapped the suction end in screen with a tight weave so the little tads didn't get sucked through. I fashioned the screen so that it stuck out a good distance from the suction part of the filter, so at the point the tads touched the screen - the suction wasn't strong enough to pull them into the screen.

It's hard when they are so little, and it wasn't perfect (a few didn't have the strength to pull away and squished) -- but 99% of the tads made it to the point I dumped them in a local pond or became one of the 4 I kept.

Just in case you are wondering, I saved tadpoles all summer last year -- the frogs kept laying them in the kiddie pools I keep for my dogs. The pools are in direct sunlight and if I didn't rescue them - the cooked!

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

That's a great idea frognut and I bet it was cool watching them all summer.

7. Frognut

I must admit the screen was an idea someone here (probably Liz -or as most know her Schleglebagel) gave me and I fashioned it to meet my needs. I had it PERFECTED by the end of the summer!;)

Yes, I loved all the tadpoles and watching them morph. It was hard to let them go, but I have to say now -- WHEW! I'm glad I did. I love my Grey Tree Frogs, but they are the most ornery stubborn little suckers I have ever met. They are not the wonderful little darlings Liz has about her place (... ducking from the pan Liz is about to throw at me:eek:)

And, I think I said this already. Tadpoles do not reach each level of morph at the same time - even if they are hatched at the same time. It was hard to meet the needs of the little froglets that were still in the water and those that had already pulled out of the water, and the ones who still hadn't sprouted all their legs yet and the baby frogs.....

Let's just say for a few weeks I had multiple containers with frogs in various stages of development all over my house. And not everyone made it :(

If I wasn't planning on keeping them, then they only stayed with me until I could make arrangements for their transport to a pond.

Good Luck!!!

8. Frognut

Oh, by the way. You also asked about caring for them. I fed them cut up spinach (fresh), that I froze to keep longer. I also used Bottom Feeder Fish Food - I just crushed one or two pellets into tiny pieces (the pieces got larger as the tads grew) and dumped them in the water.

Just make sure you take out uneaten food after 24 hours (give or take). The food will grow fuzz, and that is not good!

Oh and I talked to them all the time! I'm sure that was the most important part of the care I gave...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.