This Disappears When Logged In

T-Rex Flood Lights

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dudeamis, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Are the T-Rex UVA/UVB flood lights any good for long range UVB projection. They say that they project UVB 1-6 feet.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I m not sure about the T Rex...I personally use the Mega Ray, which are awesome. You can find them at www.reptileuv.com

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

6-ft is a stretch. Yes, they project up to 6-ft, BUT the UVB emission is not significant enough to benefit the creature. Sorta like having a fluorescent tube at 12" form the creature. ;-)

2-ft or less would be a much better range.

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I personally have used the TRex lamps and Powersuns as well. I have always placed them 18 inches from the basking shelf. Good luck. Lyn

5. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Thanks for the info, I'll probally go with a low watt T-Rex set to both a timer/dimmer and t-stat (timer to keep the day cycle right and the tstat to make sure the place doesn't cook too much), with a 100watt ceramic heater connected to a tstat to regulate the temperature and 3 low wattage UVB lamps for optional UVB basking area all attached to timers. The enclosure is 6'x6'x2' styrofoam so I'm not quiet sure yet if the ceramic heater will be too much yet, I'll probally test my 60 watter first.

6. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

100w for all that area won't be excessive I believe but that depends on a lot of factors.

But going back a bit, what t-rex lamps were you talking about?

7. frozenlava

frozenlava Member

Hey Dudeamis, just an FYI, mercury vapour bulbs should not be used on a dimmer, unless the bulb is made specifically for it.

Also, there's lots of info on mercury vapour bulbs here.

The T-rex bulb and mega ray are made by the same company, I believe, with only very small differences between them.

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

OK, a few things brought to you by http://www.reptileuv.com.

-You CANNOT dim MV lamps. They simply will not work.

-T-Rex and Mega-Ray SB lamps are indeed manufactured by the same company. The Trex SB is a copy of the Mega-Ray SB. Both are excellent lamps.

-Neither the Trex or the Mega-Ray SB lamp will project significant UVB to 6-feet.

-Mega-Ray SB Zoo will project up to 6-ft, but you need to be "approved" to order it. You also need to own a UVB Meter.

-There are no Mercury Vapor Self-Ballasted lamps lower than 100-watts. The technology is just not there yet. The starting wattage for SB MV lamps is 100-watts.

-Follow the link that Frozenlava provided and read all about UVB lighting for reptiles. It is the most accurate, up to date info you can get on the net.
    ;-) Read the MV lamp study and see how Powersun compared to the rest.

Frozenlava- Welcome to the Herp Center Network. Glad to have you here.

Dudeamis- Welcome to HCN. You can always call or write to ReptileUV with your set-up specs and they will help you decide which lamp is right for your particular needs (try THAT with Trex, LOL) Go to www.reptiluv.com, look on the Contacts page and either e-mail or call Bob Mac. He's always glad to help!

Good luck with setting everything up!

9. Dudeamis

Dudeamis Elite Member

Thanks, I've been checking out the site, I like the heat edmiters safe and powerful. and the UVB lamps look great for an enclosure of my size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.