This Disappears When Logged In

Suriname

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by mambaman, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

read this i have a theromometer in the tank

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Thats a start but you are a very long ways from properly providing for a snake that hads very specific needs.
    What is the humidity in the tank?
    Do you even have a hygrometer, or do you just 'guess' ? That isnt going to cut it. You need to make some very big changes if you want your snake to survive.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

4. Tippmann357

Tippmann357 Elite Member

Actually what i do is I put some paper towels ontop of the place where the heat pad is so if my snake burrows too far he wont be burnt, and it wont send out so much heat.

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually, you need a thermostat or rehostat to control the tempp of the heatpad. The snake will be able to get under the papertowels.

6. Tippmann357

Tippmann357 Elite Member

Lol I just tape mine on:eek: still works though, doesnt give off too much heat just enough to keep the snake warm:)

7. mshrmheadcharge

Snake+tape= really bad idea.

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

im probally getting a 30 gallon long. and i'll get hygrometer

9. mshrmheadcharge

You should go to bigappleherp.com and check out their digitals.

10. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Im going to Branson Missouri today so i'll check around at the pet shops and stuff for one.

11. mshrmheadcharge

Good plan...

12. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

it looks to me like mambaman is trying to get everything in order and im glad to see that. I have a suriname RTB and i got her on a whim too but i also was interested and used the care sheet found on this site and i asked questions that i needed to know from the snake experts that we have here and they helped me with useful information on what i needed to know and libby is happy healthy and im looking forward to getting her into her new enclosure soon as ive found it cheaper to build a custom enclosure for my critters who need more room than a regular tank remember that your rtb will grow to about 3 feet in the first year and they like to climb so a basking shelf is a must for the boas. im glad you came here for help mambaman as this is the best source for info and this site has great people in and around it who can help remember noone is putting you down they just care about the herp as so many people buy things especially iguanas who grow to 5 feet or more and dont realize it till its to late and release it to the wild or send it to a reptile refuge sick and un healthy no one here wants to see that with your boa keep that in mind.

13. mshrmheadcharge

Dawg- you have a suriname RTB? From the pics you posted before she looked like a RTB...

14. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

thats what the petstore told me but you know their reputation for getting stuff wrong

15. mshrmheadcharge

How many saddlles does she have? And is her vent a lighter color then all the other scales around it? Post some pics, Ill tell ya :D

16. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

ive got to do a pic update soon the leos and our beardie are getting fat and the cwd's are getting big as well as our corn and ofcourse libby

17. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I bought a 40 gallon breeder and a thermostat and a humidity thing.

18. mshrmheadcharge

Humidity gauge is the proper term :p what r u using as substrate?

19. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Reptile bark or something im not sure what it is same stuff i use for my ball python

20. mshrmheadcharge

As long as you dont feed him/her in the enclosure thats fine. You NEED to feed him in a seperate feeding tank, if he accenditanlly eats some of that beark while going after prey he will become inpacted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.