This Disappears When Logged In

Suriname

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by mambaman, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Yeah especially a reptile that is ovoviviparous! Parasites can and will be passed on to the newborns from the parents very easily…. get the vet check done! and as people have said before let the snake settle in a while before trying to tame it... and again i stress to ya....do not try pop or probe sex your snakes(no offence intended but i would feel better if you got someone else to do it for you). I have seen many people injure their snakes without even knowing it...later on in life you will find your snake can't breed and you wonder why???

2. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

What in the world does ovoviviparous means. I'v got to mess with him cause i need to put some bark in his tank. It had carpet in there but i took it out so there isnt nothing in there right now he is in a 5 gallon tank with a water bowl right now. With a 60 watt regular light bulb on one end. Will it be to hot in their? I havent got around to getting a thermometer yet.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

ovoviviparous...is what boas are.... the most simple meaning...they give birth to live young. i could get more technical but...ya...it means the don't lay eggs

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

doooooood!!!!! i don't wanna sound l;ike an old granny or a mom now...but come on!

you can't just estimate the temp! and you need to have substrate and do you even have a hide in the enclosure???? it is important to have everything in order!!!!! You should have an enclosure with temps and humidity ready before you get a herp!!!!!! Please get some help asap from someone around where you live

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

oic. If I cant get this snake tamed down and calm and not so nervous. I may sell it and buy a diffrent snake that has been treated and is a breeder with a reputation. But hopefully i'll get it tamed. Because i dont know of any other medium large snakes that arent aggresive

6. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I didnt have time i couldnt find a tank until the day before the snake came in and when i did i didnt have time to get anything else. And i live in a small town so i have to drive 40 miles to get to the pet store to get stuff

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Everyone learn from this example!!!! you need to put a herps well being before your personal needs and problems!

1. Find out everything you can before getting a herp

2.Have an enclosure ready at least 2 days before...temps, humidity, everything

3.Don't estimate your herps temp and humidity req.

4. Don't be like this dood!

your suriname will die! suris are veryy sensitive to temps and humidity...you need to get it sorted ASAP...don't worry about it being tame...get your enclosure sorted! ANd about getting another snake and selling this one....sell it and them do some research.

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

The snake isnt going to die before tommorow. And the two days before the snake arrived the store was closed.

9. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I dont live in giant cities like most you people. If these snakes are so sensitve to every thing then how do they survive in the wild. The wild isnt perfect! But i am going to fix the enclosure but not today it isnt at my house.

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

ummmmmm the idea behind your enclosure temps and humidity is to simulate the conditions it has in the wild!

The wild is your end goal to achieve....! I will keep you in a dumpster for two days...you will live won't ya!

11. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Well it still going to wait till tomorrow

12. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Mambaman, I have to ask you if you really care for this snake? You dont seem very concerned for its well being. But then again from your previous posts Ive gathered you dont seem too concerned with temps and humidity and overall health, just "how cool the enclosure looks" Next time, before making such a large commitment as a boa you might JUST might wanna do a little bit of research.

13. Tippmann357

Tippmann357 Elite Member

Guys, don't be mean:rolleyes: I understand how you feel about how he is taking care of his snake but it is his responsiblity. Come on:p

14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

A snake isnt a "responsibilty" its a life...and in this case a life that isnt being properly cared for.

15. Tippmann357

Tippmann357 Elite Member

Yeah...True.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

*pulls out hair and screams*

HAVEN'T YOU LEARNED ANYTHING IN ASKING FOR INFORMATION ON YOUR OTHER PROSPECTIVE PETS!? Everyone on this forum has been very nice and understanding and they have given you a ton of great information in the past. You can't expect everyone to hold your hand and walk you through this. You need to go read some caresheets and do what is atleast minimally required to keep the animal alve.
    Putting anything bigger than a tarantula in a 5gallon tank is unacceptable. You cannot maintain a proper temperature gradient and the animal cannot properly thremoregulate.

17. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Well that is the biggest tank avalible right now i wanted to go to the Bluff today and look at tanks and things but i couldnt. I have fixed the enclosure up it has substrate and a therometer in it now. I have a light over it and heat pad beside in case it gets to cold i can put it under there. Im sorry if you dont think if properly caring for the snake. I talked to the vet today she said that the snake doesnt need to be checked if it isnt showing any signs of problems or mites. I do plan on getting a bigger tank soon and im probally going to be putting a hide in the tank later today. If this snake was at my house it would be takin care of better but it cant be here. But i do plan on doing my best for caring for it where it's at i will be able to get every thing perfect soon. But for now it will have to work i'll post a pic of the snake in a while. The snake has calmed down alot today i had to remove him and put him in a container for a minute while i fixed the tank up.

18. Tippmann357

Tippmann357 Elite Member

Under tank heaters should always be placed under the tank on the warm side and on all the time so the snake can regulate body temperature

19. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I didnt want it on because it could make the tank to hot so i just turned the lamp on. I have somebody there that is supposed to check the temp when im not their i told him if its not hot enough turn the heat pad on and if its to hot in the tank with the light on turn it off and use heat pad.

Is it bad for a snake if you hold it alot because i also have a ball python i'v had him for a few months and recently i'v been holding him for long periods of time up to 20 minutes at a time 2 times a day usally. He doesnt seem to mind he seems to enjoy it but is it bad for him or good for him?

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Go find another vet!!!!!!!!!!!
    We aren't talking about mites and such that a visual inspection will reveal. We are talking about INTERNAL parasites that live inside your snake's body! These can be present even in captive bred animals and if the husbandry isn't what it should be can rapidly explode in population. All it takes to check is a poop sample to determine if they are present. If they are and are not dealt with it will be a very ill animal by the time you figure out something is wrong.
    And exactly how is this person or you yourself for that matter supposed to know what the temperature is in the tank. You have already stated you don't have a thermometer. This is NOT something that you can guess at! Having the temperature bounce up and down to extremes will be the death of your snake!
    Ball pythons are great snakes for handling if you don't over do it. It sounds like you are doing fine on that. Handling snakes is for our enjoyment. The snake could really care less and would just as soon be left alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.