This Disappears When Logged In

Suriname

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by mambaman, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I just bought a Suriname it just arrived today it is very aggresive is struck repeaditly at the side of the cage and hissed loudly will it calm down in a while? The person i bought it from said it is very tame and likes to be handled did this person lie or is it just stressed from being in the mail for 24 hours? Also how long will it take it to get big and how big will it get?

Thanks,

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Not to pick on you, but if you don't know the answer to that question, you really shouldn't have the snake yet. Do research first to make sure you're ready for it, then buy the snake. Seeing as how you've skipped that step though, I'm sure someone with more knowledge on boids than I will be along eventually to help you out.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

ummmm i just got a gaboon viper...is it venomous?

4. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

IV READ ABOUT THE SNAKE BUT IT DOESNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SURINAMES!

caudalis Oh my gosh your so hilarious

5. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

All i wanted to know is how big they get and how long it takes

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

is it a male or female?

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

a female will get much bigger than a male and can reach 12ft

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I have no clue if it is male of female. Sorry i smarted off to you i dont feel good today.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

hahahahaha no worries

try and get it sexed and then you can determine the size it will get

10. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

How big will males get

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i have never kept surinames before but although i said they can get to 12ft they will probably average out at about 8 ft and a male like 6ft.... there are some 12ft monsters out there tho so be prepared!

i

12. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Ok thanks

13. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

BCC get bigger then BCI but grow at a slower rate, Surinames are BCC, this being said within the first year of life they grow to be about 5-6 feet. Average growth rate being 3 inches a month.Average legnth of a female suri is between 8 and 10 feet...its very possible that she reaches 12 feet. Males get to be about 6 feet, with the possibility of getting 8 feet. Surinames can be very aggressive snakes, especially when they are younger. They are not a beginner snake as they require exact temps and humidity, many die within the first year of life due to the ignorance of the owner. So be sure to keep his/her temps 88-90deg.F on the warm end and the cool end 83-85. During the night allow temps to drop no lower then 70 deg..prefferably around 73-75 Humidity needs to be atleast 60% at all times, during sheds should be around 80%. Feeding, since your boa is young you can feed him/her every 7 days. the prey should be one and a half the girth of the snake, if you feed any bigger you risk a regurg. Allow 3 days after feeding to handle your boa so he/she can digest its food, if you handle any sooner then that again, you risk a regurg.Dont try to feed your snake for atleast another week, he/she needs time to settle in. As far as temperment goes, he/she SHOULD calm down, but suris can and will have bad attitudes at times. Most people I know that have suris have had temperment problems, Im one of the lucky ones as I have never had problems with my girl. You need to give your boa 2 weeks to settle in, keep him/her away from all your other herps for atleast a month for quarrentine period, during which you will need to bring a fecal to your vet to have it checked for parasites, monitor fecal matter(make sure its not runny or anything like that) and check his/her overall health. Any questions..ask away.

And Devon, no Gabbys are NOT ven. ;)

14. Stephen10

Stephen10 Member

hey

Males will typically top out at about 6-8 ft, and Females at 8-10, but quite possibly more. A lot of it depends on how well you maintain it. And about the sexing i'd say "popping" would be the easiest and definately cheapest way. you can find internet sites that tell you step by step on how to do this, but if you've never tried this, i suggest taking it to an exotic pet store and having them do it for free.

Dooby.

15. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

NEVER attempt to pop or sex a snale UNLESS youve been taught ba a professional!! You could really injure your snake this way! Is it really worth it to hurt your snake just cuz you wanna know if its a boy or girl??? Take it to your vet to get it sexed, not a petstore.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You should be taking it to a vet anyways for an exam so i'm sure if it is an experienced reptile vet they will sex it for you. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it, as it could injure your snake.

17. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

The person i bought it from said they think they sent me a female. I'v got it at my mom's house i'll probally have to do some remodling to the room. Im going to give it a while to settle down before taking it to the vet. I read that red tails were tame and non-aggresive but then again they didnt specify Surinames? Post some pics of your Suriname reds

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Someone saying they "think" they sent you a female is not very reassuring! They either know or they don't!

I would not wait to take it to the vet. Find out now whether or not it is healthy. If there is a problem you need to know NOW so that you can relay the info to the person who sold it to you.
    No reliable breeder wants to be known for offering sick animals and should make it right.

19. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

It's captive bred he said it didnt need to be checked because it was captive bred and never touched the ground. I bought it from a guy named Jose Burgos. I held the snake today but i wore gloves and a coat. He didnt ever strike but he rared back and looked like he was going to strick at my head is it bad idea to use gloves and a coat when taming a snake? How much does it cost to get the snake checked

20. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

If you just got the snake, leave it alone for a week or so before handling and trying to feed it. It needs time and quiet to adjust to all the changes in its life.
    I don't know what it costs in your area to get a snake checked. You should call around to find a vet that deals with snakes, then go there and get a stool sample container so that when he poops, you can collect it and have it sent to a lab for a parasite check.
    Just because a snake is captive bred does not mean that it is healthy. The parent snakes could have passed parasites, viruses or bacteria onto the babies.
    A stool sample is a good start. You want to call around and find a reptile vet early anyway in case there is something wrong. You can ask about exam costs over the phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.