This Disappears When Logged In

Suriname Will Not Poop!!! Need Help.

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by butters, Apr 8, 2010.

1. butters

butters Active Member

so, we recently got a suriname red tail boa, she has eaten a few times, and has not pooped yet, we are thinking possibility of a parasite or something. not sure if this is normal or not. our other boas are not having issues, so we are just curious any ideas???

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you give details of how she`s kept, also when she last ate, and what, and do you have any photos? Thanks!

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Make sure your tems are correct. How recent was it when you got her and how old is she?

4. butters

butters Active Member

She is kept in her enclosure. which is a wooden cage with a plexi glass door, her humidity is kept at about 70% and her temps are 80 in the cool spot and about 90 in her basking area. she has her large water bowl and her log hide. she has eaten about 3 times since we got her. she eats med-large frozen/thawed rats. we got her off of a local classified ad here in ut. any other info needed please let me know. :) and she is approx 3 yrs old. we just barely got her about a month ago.

5. butters

butters Active Member

i can post pics when i get home, im at work at the moment.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, please do, is she active?

7. butters

butters Active Member

She is very active, she likes to sit in her one spot in her home, but other than that, when she is out she is active, lots of tongue flicking, eats well, vicious eater actually, just doesnt poop

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Your temps and humidity are right on. WHat substrate are you using ?

9. butters

butters Active Member

When we got her, she had repti bark, so we have stuck with that as substrate.

10. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

If you feed her in her enclosure with the reptibark, she may accidentally ingest a piece when eating. This may impact in her and make her unable to poop. Maybe this is not the case, though - maybe she just needs time and a few nice warm water soaks. Or maybe she will very shortly present you with a nice big one.

11. butters

butters Active Member

we dont feed them in their homes, we take them out and put them in separate places to feed. we dont want to be one day mistaken as food. lol. unless the people before didnt take her out to feed, then that may be the case. but as far as we know, we do not feed in their homes at all. :) its a pain in the butt sometimes with our bigger guys but worth it in the long run i think.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

If you are ever one day mistaken as food, it would not necessarily be because you ever fed them in their homes, but to each his own. I feed my snakes either in or out of their homes at my own convenience and depending - if for example, I decide to clean the cages at the same time as they are being fed, then they will be fed out of their home.

For substrate I use a mixture of newspaper, dried grass, driftwood and rocks. This works for me as I live in the tropics.

Any pictures of your Suri?

13. butters

butters Active Member

dried grass? just from outside? i never thought of that. i will post the rest of our babies when i get home. :)

14. butters

butters Active Member

here are a few pics of Treasure, the female Surniame that will not poop.. :confused:

Attached Files:

15. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I second the warm water soaks. Warm, bath water temperature, not hot. And soak the snake for about 10 to 15 minutes to help anything pass. All the other advice given was great too.

16. butters

butters Active Member

we will try the warm soaks and see if anything passes. thank you all for your help. we appreciate it.

17. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

She is definitely a looker.

18. Parkerwall

Parkerwall Active Member

ya i agree give her a nice long soak thats all it took when my boa hadn't pooped in about 3 weeks

19. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Awesome boa, without a doubt a "True" red tail. They are awesome. Let me know if you ever want to get rid her.

20. butters

butters Active Member

i will do, but i dont think we are going to be getting rid of her, however, she does have a boyfriend named "v" (he is also a suriname) so if they make babies, I will let you know. :)