This Disappears When Logged In

Superworms Vs. Mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by rene13c, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rene13c

rene13c Member

Whats the difference between these two? Is one healthier than the other?

2. Earlington2233

Earlington2233 Elite Member

In my experience they're generally the same. The Superworm is just allot bigger than your average Mealworm, and has more fat. But nutritionally they're pretty much the same. My Leo Earl used to feed on Mealworms and he was an alright-ish weight, I've switched him to Superworms and he THRIVES! They're really good. :)

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not too sure if they are the same, the mealworm will never be as large as the superworm. Mealworms can be placed in the fridge to retard their growth and superworms are from Africa and should not be put in the fridge. They are both the larva of a beetle but from a different genus. I've heard alot of better things about superworms than mealworms, so thats what I use, as long as the reptile is large enough to eat a superworm.

4. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Not exactly the same. Superworms have a higher fat content than the mealworms do.

5. Earlington2233

Earlington2233 Elite Member

I understand that 'King' or 'Giant' mealworms are Mealworms that have had some form of Steroids to make them massive, and then you get actual superworms (Zophobas Morio, if that's spelt correctly) which are a different species. They are not exactly the same, but there's not that much difference besides the fat contect really...