This Disappears When Logged In

Superworm Explosion

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by mayhmmaydn, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

Ok these badboys n girls are breeding crazy! Now that my adult dragons are down for the winter what should I do with the excess? Freeze em? or just take them to the ducks?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Feed them to the local fauna. I have actually used them to do some trout fishing. They work exceptionally well.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for the reminder.
    Was looking to start a colony again.
    Also a good tip for fishing ;)

You can also sell a batch in the classifieds. Pet stores charge stupid amounts for them.

4. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

If I ate fish I would be in heaven with free bait but nope.. eww eww eww... wait.. I used to say that about roaches and now I raise them.. hmm.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've never known anyone to eat roaches.
    Do you fry them?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not sure how they prepare them but Hissers are a delicacy in the middle east.

7. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Probably kebab style.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Nah just roast them.

9. Cap10Squirty

Cap10Squirty Elite Member

What food/substrate are you guys using for your superworms?

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I use 2inches of oatmeal and then for hydration I offer all the veggie scraps from the tortoise salads.

11. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I use wheat bran and dried veggies pulverized. 24 hours before using them as feeders to most my dragons I put them with veggies. They tear up greens and gutload on them really well. I use coins of carrots for hydration scattered on top. they are usually gone in 12 hours so I have been going thru about 3-5 large carrots a day. The excess greens I have go to my turtle and crickets and Dubia too.
    roaches can be skewered marinated or basted with teriyaki and roasted, deepfried or stir fried. same with meal worms. not sure about superworms. I cant imagine them being different than eating the meal worms though. not in the mood to find out right now though.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Or baked on top of cookies with a honey glaze!