This Disappears When Logged In

Superworm Breeding for Research

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by vlazlo, Mar 31, 2014.

1. vlazlo

vlazlo New Member

I am a university student and I am breeding superworms for scientific research. I am trying to find the optimal isolation environment I can use and I am trying to understand the difference between certain setups. In one setup they used a bead box you get at a craft store. This set up is a closed unit with no airflow unless the box is opened. Others use film containers or glass spice jars and some suggest you puncture the top for air to flow (this sites guide), while others do not puncture any hole that I can see in the photos or videos I have watched. Those who have not punctured a hole in their container have you noticed a decent amount of pupating larva vs those that died?

Second question is on food substrate. I know the guide on this website says that they put 1 inch of substrate into the container while others suggest no food at all. If anyone has used both methods, have you noticed a faster pupation in the superworms that were starved vs those that were fed? If I am adding food, should I also be adding a moisture source?

Thanks

2. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I pupate my supers in a bead box with an airr hole over each slot (and I open about once a week to let in some fresh air). I have had issues with about half of my guys dying off before they pupate. The most recent round I started I added in a very very small pinch of powdered oatmeal to each slot and I have seen close to 10 pupate rather quickly and have no die offs yet which is a success for me.

3. MealwormsHQ

MealwormsHQ New Member

This is really interesting, I noticed that my superworms pupate better in a dark environment and undisturbed. I generally put them in black film canisters without the top for adequate airflow.