This Disappears When Logged In

Super Worms

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Mledwards123, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

Are they fast and easy to breed. And are they a good choice for bearded dragons

2. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

im finding tons on you tube about them. once to isolate them it take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for them to pupate into little alien looking critters. then 1-2 weeks for them to turn into beetles. once they are beetles they mate and lay eggs. this takes time to happen too. after a few weeks you move the beetles to another container to breed more. the eggs hatch and are teeny tiny and then ib about a months span they are feeders. there are several ways to set up a colony and many ways to feed them etc. Just start out asap and in what seems like no time youll have a colony. until then we are buying the little bugers weekly. blech. Make sure you clean them out of the bar they come in and rinse them lightly and pat them dry before putting them into a feeding bin to gut load or grow. the bran they come in can have nasties. That's what I am working on. hope it helps. Nothing seems to be fast growing. sigh. May

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

omg too much work!!! I think by the time I waited (starts counting weeks on fingers and toes) 6 or 8 weeks to even begin to get anywhere...LOL that's as much time as silkworms!!!

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Fast? No. Easy? Yes. Good for Beardies? In moderation, certainly. They also live for quite a long time, so if you time it right, you'll rarely ever (if at all) have to buy superworms. And if you find you have too many, it's an excellent excuse to buy another reptile to feed them to. ;)

5. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Turtles eat then too!!!!