This Disappears When Logged In

Super Skiny Cuban Tree Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Kazooguyz2, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Some of you know I have (had) Cuban Tree frogs. 1 died a few months back and now, it seems, the other is starving itself. I check on him/her daily when spot cleaning and misting the viv. Since he/she is always resting, I rarely see the full condition of it's body. Today I actually was spending some quality time and talking to and stroking it when I noticed how super skinny he/she is. All the crickets are gone every time I feed, (I check to make sure they aren't breeding in the substrate) I am assuming s/he is eating them since I know they can't get out. I feed 5-8 med crickets every other day, dusting with Cal suppl once a week. I mist and change the water daily. Temps are 75-79 and humidity is 50-70 percent. Light cycle is 12/12. Not sure what could be going on. Any suggestions or variations to diet will be greatly appreciated.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Sounds like a classic case of parasites. Eating and eating and not getting any bigger. Take a poop sample to the vet.

3. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I think maybe I forgot to state that s/he was at one time quite plump and robust but since the cagemate died, s/he has gotten skinny. I will try to take a poop sample to the vet ASAP and keep everyone posted.

4. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

*** UPDATE *** Took the entire frog to the vet and he determined that yes, parasites were the cause of the semi-rapid loss of weight. Just coincidence that loss of cagemate was recent. Sadly, Castro was too wasted and over loaded with parasites for treatment and actually passed in the vets hands. He teared up more than I did. He suggested that a proactive treatment would be in order for all my frogs even though they haven't shared the same habitat for almost a yr now. So.. we are now taking a heavy handed approach to treatment: A liquid version to mix in the water (changed daily of course), and Panacur directly to the mouth. What fun!!! Anyone ever try to get a frog to open their mouths on demand??!! Had to resort to the semi-stiff (when dry) craft foam method of prying the mouth open. Managed to get a small blob (small as a BB) into everyone's mouth. The video would have been a sure win on AFV or YouTube!! Especially with the frogs trying to jump out of my hands, me trying to pry the mouth, insert the syringe, and squeeze a drop of paste into the mouth all at the same time!! What a fun time. Took nearly an hour to get everyone doped up. Only 9 more days of this!! And before anyone asks: NO I AM NOT GOING TO TRY TO VIDEO IT!! But I am seeking help if anyone wants to come over at 4p EST every day and lend a hand!! :)

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

man, that's so sad about the cuban. And yes I think its right to treat everyone. Its possible the parasites came from a recent shipment of crickets and contaminated everyone.

As for holding them, pinch them between the breast bone and the back bone, and just keep tapping at their mouth with the tip of the syringe until they open up. I find a fingernail also works for this. Good luck!!!!

6. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry Chris, I am extremely busy at 4 p.m. everyday (what a coincidence;):p).

7. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Seem to be getting that response from A LOT of people!! Hmmmm.... But they do seem to be getting used to the fact that this must be good for them. It is getting easier. Now if they would just open on demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.