This Disappears When Logged In

Super-Cute Baby Millipedes!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by furryscaly, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I breed millipedes, among other invertebrates. I was feeding my American giants when I spotted a couple babies :D They're about 3 mm long, or just abt 1/8 of an inch. When full grown they will be about 4 inches, or 10+ cm. They're Narceus americanus/annularis, or basically "Narceus americanus". The differences between the species are slight, if there are any, and they inhabit the same range. The majority of Narceus species in the east are simply known as "Narceus americanus", or American giant millipedes.

You'll definitely have to click the images if you want to see any detail. I find it fascinating that the babies apparently don't have legs running their entire body length, as the adults do of all millipede species. This interesting bit is visible in the second photo.

Twins?
    [​IMG]

Super Cute :D
    [​IMG]

One of the adults, though not necessarily one of the parents, eating cucumber.
    [​IMG]

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I am so glad there is someone who loves bugs, that is so cool. lol

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool Matt.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Awww they are cute Matt...:D

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I think baby anything is cute....lol.....I love any millipedes....

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Haha, maybe I'll send you some ;)

I really hope my red-legs and rainbows will breed as well, and that I can find a male African giant black at the next herp show I go to.

7. The D

The D Mango Empress

oh they're so adorable!

8. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

They ARE cute! To me... Cool pictures, Matt!

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Just remember, for every millipede you send, you will get one iguana sent to you. I think thats a fabulous trade :D I will definately learn to like them, lol:D
    They look like they would be MUCH easier to care for then the iguanas, so send me about 8:D :D

10. Marcel_h

Marcel_h Member

Millipedes Are cool:)

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i missed out on this one while i was away. thats pretty cool and oddly enough it looks really cute in the second pic lol. :D

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep, in a weird way I think they're kind of cute too... but I wouldn't want to have one. :)
    Congrats on the babies, Matt

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks guys :) Hopefully I'll start seeing more of them. They've got competition from their parents though, a few small snails, and a pair of horned passalus beetles (which will also breed with any luck).

14. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Nice babies, keep us in mind if you get African Black babies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.