This Disappears When Logged In

Sunrise/sunset Lighting

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by lboarts, Jan 19, 2011.

1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

150 Watts? What size tank is it? I have mine in a 20 long at the moment, I am getting ready to move them to a 40 breeder, and I am sorta lost on the light and heat thing. In their current tank, the cool end is about 72 and the warm end is 80-85 depending on how it is in the house. Any suggestions? I am thinking an undertank heater for the 40 and at least 75watt light.

2. lboarts

lboarts Active Member

It's a 30 long, here's a pic. Ignore the sand, it's gone. The 2nd pic is his warm hide, although now it has 2 entrances and it's design changes somewhat everytime I break his cage down, lol.

His warm hide during the day is 89, basking spot above it is 95 (he never uses it during the day), night time warm hide is 78, the cool side remains 72 both day and night due to the black light in the fixture on the right. The timer cycles the fixtures so when one is off the other is on, and vice versa.

The rocks in his hab were gathered on the beach and the halogen heats them up well enough. They dissipate heat at a gradual pace so his warm hide cools down gradually.

Works out well, he seems to be thriving in his hab, although in the past week his appetite seems to have disappeared. He started shedding yesterday, though, so I hope that plays a part in it. This is our first shed, so we'll see.

Attached Files:

3. lboarts

lboarts Active Member

Here's a better pic. Please keep in mind his sunrise/set lighting system will be installed in his new hab, which is set to begin being constructed Monday. The design was completed this week and all necessary tools have been purchased.

It will have sliding glass doors, enclosed top and an enclosed side cabinet for all necessary wiring and electrical components required. That is why I want to work the bugs out of his lighting system, so I know how big the side cab has to be, lol.

Attached Files:

4. Brownman

Brownman Member

Looks great! Remember, your critter's enclosure is foremost for him but also in part for you. Just seeing to the basic needs of the animals is not why we do all this. anything extra (non harmful of course) enriches the herps life and your life. If it feels good, do it, Rock on with your dimmer switch!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks really nice! You little Leo must be very happy.:D

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

^ Fully agree! I see nothing harmful about doing it if that is what you want to do. If you have the patience, money, time, and it will be an enrichment to you I say go full steam ahead.

7. lboarts

lboarts Active Member

TY guys, I appreciate the words of encouragement. As an animal lover, I see this same trait in my 6 yr old son and want to encourage responsible ownership in him as well.

One reason for allowing santa to give my son a herp is to teach him responsibility. He seems very interested in doing what's right for "Bob" more than what's fun for him, which is very gratifying to me.

He lives with his mom during the week and me on the weekends, and during the week keeps calling me to ask how Bob is. Not me, just Bob. lmao.

8. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I think that is great. A great project for you both to enjoy and bond!