This Disappears When Logged In

Sunken Eye. Please Take a Look.

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Apr 5, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I've had this girl since Jan '14. Enclosure is about 25" x 18" x 7". Using newspaper & flexwatt. Temps are 92° hotspot (surface) and 81° cold side (surface) with an ambient of 82°. Humidity is never lower than 65%.
    Eating 2 adult mice every 7-14 days depending on how far into the digestive process the animal is in.

The snake just shed today, no issue. Both eye caps were found on the full shed, tail piece as well... However, her eye is sunken in.

My issue is that she's perfectly hydrated and I found both of her eye caps. I don't understand why her eye is sunken in. Called the vet tonight (they're already closed for the weekend) and I will have her in on monday. Let me know what you guys think.

It's nearly impossible to see in the pictures I have so I will not bother posting them tonight. It's a very small indent in the center of the eye.

2. EriksExotics

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Hmmm....it looks like the eye cap is indented for some reason. Are there any sharp/pointy objects in the enclosure? Does her eye look normal underneath? I doubt that the actual eyeball is damaged, most likely it's just the surface and it should go back to normal after a few sheds. But still, a vet visit won't hurt:) Good luck, I hope there's nothing more serious behind it.

4. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

Has she been soaking in her water bowl a lot lately? This could be the start of a mite infestation. Look to see if she is obsessively soaking in her water bowl.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

a dented eye cap is pretty common. Just means she needs a little more humidity, especially during a shed.

6. EriksExotics

Nothing sharp, no mites, no excessive soaking. I was able to get a hold of a few people who said it happens and will go away with her next shed. Thanks, everyone!

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I was going to say that I didn't think it warranted a vet visit. I bet if you raise the humidity a little and wait for some more sheds it'll work itself out.

8. EriksExotics

Humidity has been at a steady 68% this whole week.

I've used other hygrometers just in case and they're all saying 67%-70%

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

just give it time then, should be okay

10. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

I have seen something similar in my male bp once, little less than a year ago. I got him out to clean his cage and noticed his eye looked like it had a dent in the middle of it, it looked sunken in like that. I continued with cleaning his cage, and changed his water and decided to let him shed before handling him at all. Sure enough when he shed it went away. It is probably not too serious man wouldn't worry too much until she goes thru a shed and its still there.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have found, mostly through trial and error, that when it comes to shedding, there is no such things as too much humidity. I find that my snakes do best if I drape a wet towel in their cage. Condensation usually means they are humid enough, lol. But that's me.

12. EriksExotics

Thanks, Everyone. I have her humidity at 81% right now. Shouldn't drop any lower this week. I'll keep you all posted :)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This commonly occurs in ball pythons and is symptomatic of humidity being too low. Raise the humidity and give a good spraying and it should pop back out.

14. EriksExotics

Humidity has been a steady 71% since this post and the eye is back to normal.