This Disappears When Logged In

Sulcata

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by jaydsr2887, Mar 5, 2014.

1. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Hey im just wondering... Do sulcatas make good pets? and what do they eat while in captivity....?

2. stgheper

stgheper New Member

Sulcatas are amazing animals, but they do get big!! Before getting any animal, you're going to want to do extensive research, to see if that animal is right for you. Sulcata's do very well in a turtle habitat for the first few years, but once they get big, people usually put them in the backyard. That being said, Sulcatas are burrowers and will burrow right out of your yard! I had a Sulcata that got to about 4' and weighed a good chunk. He did fine on a leafy diet of lettuce, cabbage, carrots, and other stuff like that. But I had a special room just for him, because he got out ALL the time, now he spends his days at the Santa Barbara Zoo. The perfect starter tortoise is a Russian Tortoise, they stay small and do fairly well in captivity.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sulcatas would not be a good pet in PA. They can get up to 150+ lbs within the first 10 or so years and they never stop growing. These tortoises need a large outdood setup when they reach 5+lbs which is generally within the first 2years and since these tortoises dont hibernate colder winter climates would not make for an easy or cheap winter setup as you would pretty much need a heated barn.
    As far as diet lettuce, cabbage, and most other produce are not an appropriate diet as they need a higher fiber contents so grass and weeds with a little bit of mazuri pellets occaisionaly is what they would need to thrive.
    I have 2 of these guys and though interesting these are not a reptile I would recommend for anyone that doesnt own several acres of grassland in the desert. Plus these guys should outlive you and your children so what would you do with them when your old and your kids cant take them? Most zoos will no longer accept them as they are at capacity already so then what do you do?