This Disappears When Logged In

Sulcata

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by chels, Jul 7, 2012.

1. chels

chels Active Member

I have two baby sulcata tortoises. The pet store I got them from recommended I use sand as a substrate. Though I haven't had any issues yet I researched and found that sand is quite bad for them. So I already have some Eco earth and bed a beast to put in asap. But any other suggestions are welcomed! I also heard a constant humidity is bad for them and causes respiratory problems. So my question is, how can I switch them to the correct substrate without raising the humidity too much?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Sulcata Tortoises

it sounds like you need help. btw, you know these are the 3rd largest tort in the world and will eventually out grow you, right?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Mix the Eco earth with some sand. They should be kept in a well ventilated type of enclosure (not a fishtank). The mixture will dry out a little after a few days and you can maintain moderate humidity by spraying.

4. mele

mele Elite Member

Are they in a tortoise box or a glass tank. What is your setup like? temps? size? hides? remember they grow fast. When my Hubert was a hatchling he loved wheat grass, bok choy, carrots, dark greens, and I stayed away from fruits. I also planted a variety of grasses for him to forage on. However when he was a baby, I gave it to him already cut on top of his greens.

Remember they grow fast and love to dig. Best of luck with two giant eating machines.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't believe that pet stores are selling these guys! :mad:

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

same, mld............ these giants need an expert keeper, or no keeper at all...

7. mele

mele Elite Member

I hope the petstore mentioned these guys can be aggressive when they mature. Two males should never be kept together they can cause serious damage.

Again, give us a rundown on their setup.

8. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

Almost all petstores have at least one sad because they never give the proper information for taking care of one

9. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

I want to get one but later on when i have my own house and huge back yard