This Disappears When Logged In

Sulcata Sleeps a Lot

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by bigserg18, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigserg18

bigserg18 Member

Ok so I read that the Sulcatas sleep up to 16 hours a day when babies, is this true? Because my sulcata sleeps a LOT!! He sleeps, eats, walks around and sleeps. And he repeats this throughout the day.
    And another question: how often should they poop if they eat well?
    Another question: I've heard to soak them every other day or twice a week which one is best?

2. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

All of our sulcatas have been adopted as adults, so I'm not sure about them sleeping a lot as babies. I know that the adults are very active from dawn until dusk. I'm not sure why a juvenile would be any different. You need GOOD quality UVB light like a MegaRay. And you need to be feeding the proper diet. You can use the iguana diet as a base, but the largest percentage of their diet needs to be dry hay (Timothy hay is good and easily available at most pet stores or online). The hay needs to be cut small (as do all the veggies).

Like humans, if you eat you should poop. LOL... that means more than one BM per day. For sulcatas, the stool should be solid, not runny, but not too hard. You will be able to see pieces of hay.

About soaking... sulcatas are from an arid region. They do not soak in the wild. I wouldn't do it more than once every three months, but you must be offering water. With that said, they don't drink much in the wild either, but this is a captive situation and fresh water must be offered.

Also important is that they DO NOT BRUMATE (hibernate). Their native environment is warm throughout the year, and they are adapted to stay awake all year.

Last: I'm very glad you're here asking questions!!! :)

3. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

What an awesome response! Thanks Steph!

4. bigserg18

bigserg18 Member

Thanks a lot for that response, it was very helpful, but yeah rather be safe than sorry, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.