This Disappears When Logged In

Sulcata Question

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by activelydying, Nov 15, 2012.

1. activelydying

activelydying Well-Known Member

I recently removed the water dish from Petey's (my tortoise :) ) enclosure and have been letting him soak. My question is, how long should I let him do this? I know this may seem like a silly question, but I love the little guy and want to do everything I can for him the correct way.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I let them soak until they go to the bathroom or 20min whichever comes first.

3. activelydying

Ok. Thanks.

4. activelydying

I kinda like not having the water dish in there, cause Im using alfalfa pellets right now as the substrate and it really fouls up the water fast. I'll be switching over to a soil/sand mixture as recommended by a very wise member on here. :)

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Hmmm...wonder who that was? :-"
    Well and they well go to the bathroom in the water dish as often as possible so it does get dirty fast however it's the reason I put it in there in the first place, keeps their cage cleaner. Now if only they would leave the food in its dish instead of spreading it everywhere.

6. activelydying

Mine is pretty good about leaving the food in the dish. I will say that he loves the nature grasses moreso then the Zoomed Grassland Tortoise food that I mix in with the grass.

And yes, Thalatte was the wise member I was refurring to. He/she has helped me out alot!

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am a she. Thanks for the acknowledgement I try to help when I can and sulcatas are one of my specialties. And my torts refuse the processed foods. There really is no reason to spend your money on it all he nutrients they need can be found in the natural grasses though i still dust with calcium and multivitamins.
    And mine do not keep it in the bowls they just plow right through the food or will drag pieces off to eat them somewhere else.

8. activelydying

What brand do you use for the supplements?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Rep-cal for both of them.