This Disappears When Logged In

Suggestions for Froggy Friend?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by jen87, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about getting a tomato frog but wanted to hear from experienced frog keepers before I got one. I have a 20 gallon tank. I've read so far from a care sheet on this site that they need humidity, shallow de-chlorinated water, and insects to eat. So from here specifically I'm wondering if I can house more than just one in an environment, and if anyone has used real plants in their vivarium as well as any other helpful tips and suggestions.

If I did use real plants in their environment I would probably go with organic potting soil (as long as that's not a problem) but I was wondering if anyone has had luck with plants because from what I've read frogs don't necessarily need a light source do you choose plants who need less light.

any good insight is helpful
    Thanks!

2. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I guess that plant question would be better suited under the plants section. but definitely let me know any tips for frogs or anything specific to tomato frogs :)

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I would keep only one frog in a tank. Tomato frogs are so funny. Live plants are just fine. Go for a Pathos. Pretty difficult to kill and they provide great cover. Do a 50/50 mix of potting soil and eco-earth.

4. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

Alright cool! Thanks for the soil help I was wondering if potting soil by itself would be right.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Potting soil tends to dry out and get crusty. The eco earth will keep it damp and easy for your frog to burrow.