This Disappears When Logged In

Suggestions for a 29 Gal?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by avoidtheboyd, Feb 7, 2010.

1. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Ok so i have this 29 gallon fish tank in my living room that i have no use for... yet. its kinda tall so thats why i didnt use it for leopard geckos... any suggestions what i should put in it?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

3. avoidtheboyd

I would love to get a snake but,,,,, my mom is really scared of them. when i get my house ill pilfer this aquarium from them. do you have any other suggestions?

4. purplemuffin

5. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Fire Skink (Riopa fernandi) Caresheet

How bout a fire skink? That size would be just about right for a single adult fire skink. I love them myself. Soon as my BRB moves out of his 29 gal and into his permanent enclosure, I'm most likely getting a fire skink to fill the 29 gal :D

6. purplemuffin

Ohhh Fire Skinks! Those are BEAUTIFUL! That is about the right size, how did I forget about them! :)

7. avoidtheboyd

Different yes... are those fish? those would be really cool but I don't know if i could even get those around here lol.... i guess i could just put fish in that tank... i had a HUGe goldfish in there but he died a few years back.... is that too big for FBTs? like a few of them?

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Axolotl is an amphibian. Like a salamander or frog. But almost strictly aquatic. As for the FBT's I have no idea. I'm sure that would be plenty room for them, but thats as far as my experience goes there lol.

Yes I fell in love with fire skinks the moment i saw one :D Can't wait to get one of my own!

9. purplemuffin

Haha! They aren't fish, they are salamanders! Well, sort of. They reach sexual maturity in their 'larval' state.. Sort of like a frog staying a froglet forever. Some of them morph into total salamanders but it's actually pretty rare! They are so neat! If they lose a limb it grows back completely! Of course I wouldn't suggest testing that, lol! My roommates are getting one for our dorm next year, so I've been studying them. :) I like the skink idea though

10. avoidtheboyd

Hmmm very cool but I don't know about all the basking stuff and special lighting. im kind of an idiot when it comes to stuff like that. thats why i started off with getting a leopard gecko for my first reptile instead of a beardy....

11. avoidtheboyd

How long do they live? and where the heck do they sell those? lol

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I think your best bet then would be to talk mom into letting you have a snake, or reading up on the lighting. I had no idea what any of that meant myself, its all part of becoming a reptile owner. Research, research, and oh yeah, RESEARCH! lol It's all a big learning experience, and learning the ways of UVB lighting and basking spots is probably one of the most important things to learn if you want to keep just about any lizard aside from a crestie or leapord gecko.

Then again, you can stick to snakes which are mostly nocturnal, and require no light at all, just the appropriate heat.

Of course the other option is to wait until you are on your own and can get whatever you can care for :D
    That's why I can't have my Yellow Ackie right now, because that will need me to have a blaptica dubia colony and there's no way I can pull that off at home :p

13. avoidtheboyd

Could i put a turtle in there? i saw these really cool tiny turtles at the kentucky expo today... I DON"T KNOW how big they got though. maybe if they stayed that small ( like 1in) i could have 100 turtles lol

14. avoidtheboyd

im pretty sure my mom wont let me have a snake right now also is because im going to college in 2 years and she said shed feed my leo (she hated reptiles but my leo loves her) but i doubt shed ever feed a snake lol

15. Flint

Flint Elite Member

You probably saw tortoises. Depending on the type, they can get huge or stay relatively small. Either way from what little I have read on even the smaller species, it is best to have a custom enclosure built for them as adults.

16. avoidtheboyd

Ill find something... there was a ton of cool stuff at the expo this morning. there were a ton of dart frogs that were tiny a few pac man frogs.... there were beautiful snakes and leos off course...

17. Flint

Flint Elite Member

You won't be able to take your pets with you to college? Have you checked with the college on rules for caged animals?

18. purplemuffin

Snakes are a BREEZE to take care of, especially the beginner ones. The sand boa I showed you is even said by some to rival the corn snake in ease of care(due to its small size, males reaching an average of only two feet max)

If the snake thing is a huge issue though, you could just have a big enclosure for the leopard geckos, or even an African Fat Tail gecko! They are very similar to leopards so care wouldn't be a huge leap for you!

19. avoidtheboyd

Im just not sure what college im going to.... if i cant though my mom will have to take care of them

20. purplemuffin

Another option is if you know any other reptile keepers. I am in a college that only accepts fish.. and "fish" aka something that is almost entirely aquatic such as aquatic frogs and those axolotls and so my babies are living with my boyfriend back in Texas! Of course you would need to make sure you know and trust the right person, I've heard horror stories about people leaving their reptiles with the wrong people!