This Disappears When Logged In

Sudan Plated Lizard Habitat

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by IWantReptiles, Dec 10, 2014.

1. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

Hey everyone.

I have a very nice Sudan Plated Lizard named Ghrol. At the moment, he is in a 10 gallon aquarium. I am going to upgrade to a larger tank but I got an idea.

I want to build a nice Sudan Plated Lizard Pen. It would look like a tortise pen but for my Sudan.

The walls would be made of wood and the ground would be a plastic with substrate over it. The top of the cage will be screen and the lights will hang over it.

Is this a good idea? I just thought of this and did not know if it would be good.

Thanks!

2. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Im not sure but you need to get him outta that 10 gallon asap.. A 10 gallon is to small for ANY reptile imo cause yoig is not big enough to get a thermal gradient and you will just heat the entire tank. Get him at least a 20 long asap then do your custom build...

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I can't see you being able to control humidity and temperatures for a reptile in a 'pen'.
    Reptiles need micro habitats. A habitat within a habitat. That is a habitat within the one you live in.
    Since they have different requirements than you do a mostly sealed off environment is the best way to control their climate.

4. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

My thoughts exacrly. That is pretty much what i was told in my screen cage thread.

5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea, that was always my concern with things like tortoise tables and pens. Maybe if you're living in a pretty humid climate you could make that work, but in most places you're liable to have trouble with it being too dry after you get the heat right.

6. IWantReptiles

IWantReptiles Well-Known Member

I will! I just need a place to put him now... and it looks that I can not get a cage till around X-Mas. I am planning on getting him in a bigger habitat. All I have at the moment is a 40 gallon breeder but my beardie is in it. Might just split the cage in 2 with a wooden piece.

Thanks!