This Disappears When Logged In

Such a Thing As a Small ACF Female

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Morgan, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Morgan

Morgan New Member

Hello all! First post here...

I have 2 new ACFs. I just got the pair yesterday from someone who didn't want them anymore. The previous owner described them as mature adult males. The albino appears to have cloaca, but is even smaller than her tankmate. I realize many people have these as pets without knowing much about them, so maybe the owner was mistaken.

Is there such a thing as a small ACF female? Or could this one just be a juvenille? I'm a little concerned b/c the male has been on her non-stop for the last 24 hours, and I wasn't planning to raise babies! LOL

The male has just now starting singing! :) It's lovely. I had a female before this who died about a month ago, but I'm hearing the singing/croaking for the first time as I type this! Very cool.

If the albino IS a girl, what do I do? Owner said they've always been tankmates, and I'm afraid of how it will affect them if I put them in separate tanks. :(

I didn't make a decision quickly enough and woke up to a tank full of frog eggs. I've only had these frogs for 36 hours! Now I have about 150 instead of 2. Whoo boy!

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Such a Thing As a Small ACF Female?

Well, if you don't want babies, Scoop out the eggs and pop them into the freezer. This will make them non-viable.

And you can separate, most amphibians don't really care for company. There are a few exceptions.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They can live perfectly happy solo lives.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

sorry for the stupid question - but what is an ACF frog?

WOW - 150?!?!?!? Yikes, I'm with Liz on this, freezer for humane euthenasia - unless you want a kazillion little ones running around!:eek:

I'm suggesting a separation. Obviously you have a male and female and the male will just keep attempting to breed - that is what they do,and there will be no rest for the weary female.

It's only us that throws the human trait of needing a friend. Although there are some frogs that do like groups. Apparently if this has been suggested from the frog experts, I would separate.

That's my 2 cents! :)

Oh (smacks head!!) WELCOME!!! -- I usually have to be reminded of my manners! Glad you found this place, you will get lots of FRIENDLY help here!

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cloaca is just the fancy name for their vent. All herps have them. Has nothing to do with sex. ;)