This Disappears When Logged In

Substrates for

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by steel rip, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

What is a good substrate for beardies, I am wanting to change from the sand and move to something digestable incase if it being ingested, is the corn cob granuals ok for beardies, or is there something else I could use, I'm not bothered about price of things, and I don't really want to use paper towels or newspaper, thanx in advance for any input :D

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

What about the lino that you use for the other beardies? It's easily cleaned, looks good and can't be ingested. Other than that you could use the "grass" however I have a feeling that could get really messy with larger dragons! :p Really the only safe, completely-without-risk substrates are those that are not particle; newspaper, paper towels, etc.

Corn cob is not really suitable, and every particle substrate can pose a risk. Are you still using calci-sand?. if you want to stay natural you could try play sand, which is finer and looks just as nice -we have always used it without problem- however, it does still pose a risk.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I am using play sand at the moment, but it is so messy, there water bowl is always full of it and their veg, I am worrying all the time when they are eating their veg, as the veg is wet and sand sticks to it like glue, I was thinking of going to Lino, cushion floor, but the big beardies are much messier than the smaller ones, I don't think it would be appropriate, its pretty difficult keeping the little ones clean, I am thinking of changing theirs too, the lino looks fresh, nice and clean when first down, but it sure does stain when they poo on it, so I have to keep buying fresh rolls of it, even with bleaching the stains still remain, I don't want to use to much bleach as the cushion floor could soak it up and would be hard to get rid of.

even tho its stained, and clean, it still looks dirty, so I wont use it again, I have to measure and cut a new piece lol,

I was using newspaper for the cham, and it seemed to kill off the locust, they just weren't surviving, so he is just on plain white paper now, and the locust are surviving. the paper i am using for the cham isnt appropriate for the beardies, so i don't know what to do :eek: i have racked my brains of what i could use for them, i also think the repti grass isnt good enough for the big beardies, they eat so much, and looking at the state of the sand after a day or two, the grass wouldnt last two minutes.

4. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Try slate? I have some thoughts that their feet may slip alil bit. But maybey you could test it out.
    You could try butcher paper,and reptile carpet too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.