This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Katey T, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Katey T

Katey T Member

Hey Everyone!

So I recently rescued a corn snake, and right now I've been using news paper as a substrate. Although that is working fine, I would like to go to all natural. What would you recommend as a substrate? I was told by the vet that wood chippings and such are bad for them because of compaction. I want to do what is best for my little girl, so all the suggestions and advice will be super useful!

Thank you!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My substrate of choice is aspen shavings.

3. Katey T

Katey T Member

Have you ever had any problems using it? I'm so nervous about my snake ingesting it. Also, is there a certain brand you would recommend?

4. Merlin

Not a one. I just got the big bale over in the rodent area of Pet smart.
    But I had a lot of snakes.
    It's much cheaper that way than in the small bags labeled for reptiles.

And it's not like it would go bad.

5. Katey T

Katey T Member

Thank you so much. This helps me a lot. I know she likes to burrow under the newspaper, so I would like to give her something she can properly do that in.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I use aspen shavings for my snake too.
    The substrate will only really stick to the food if its soaking wet anyway. Impaction itself is more a result of improper husbandry leading to the animal not being able to pass the ingested substrate than the substrate itself.

murrindindi likes this.
  7. Katey T

Katey T Member

Thank you!

8. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Aspen is great for this kind of snake, especially the shavings as mentioned for burrowing. I feed most of my snakes on a dish or platform (like a plastic lid), you can try this if you are afraid of accidental ingestion.
    Have fun!

Katey T likes this.
  9. Katey T

Katey T Member

Wow, I didn't even think of feeding her on a different platform. Thank you so much. This helps a lot. I'm still learning and I only want what is best for her!

10. Katey T

Katey T Member

I have another question! With the aspen wood, do you guys also use it for leopard geckos? I have read different things and some sites say its okay, and others are against it. I know this isn't corn snake related, but I was just wondering.

11. Merlin

I wouldn't. Leo's are not forest dwellers and are found on hard rocky ground. Large stones would be more appropriate.