This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by ferliemom, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ferliemom

ferliemom Member

Hi,
    I'm setting up a tank for Pacific Tree Frogs, and would love to get some advice on substrate. I'd like something that is easy to care for, doesn't have to be replaced a lot, and is not prone to mold (I live at the beach, it's always dampish). Ideas?
    Thanks.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I mix 50-50 organic potting soil with eco-earth/shredded coco-husk. Works great. Add live plants to it (make it deep) and its a pretty good self cleaning tank. Pill bugs help too.

3. ferliemom

ferliemom Member

Hi,
    Okay, thanks!

When you say organic potting soil, I assume something like Miracle Grow is probably poisonous? As long as it's "organic", it's okay? I would like to use live plants, and have a pathos I can use, and would like to get a fern, perhaps. How deep do you make the soil? Do you put this over a layer of gravel? My froglets are tiny, will they eat the shredded coconut as they try to eat the bugs?

Thanks for all your help!

4. schlegelbagel

I have used miracle grow organic for 4 years now with no problems for any of my frogs. If you want to be really sure, go to a specialty nursery.

Pathos is great. Make the soil as deep as the roots need to be. I don't bother with a drainage layer. I'm good with plants and don't over water.

For the little guys, just pack the dirt down well. You can place a few large flat rocks around the plants to help out.

5. ferliemom

ferliemom Member

Thanks for this great info. I was going to keep my plants in pots, but I guess I'll just go for it and see what happens.

I have been reading how you need to wash everything in the tank once a month, because frog skin leaves residue on things. You don't find this to be a problem? You really don't clean the tank at all? I like the sound of that. :)

(I have Pacific Tree Frogs, if that makes any difference.)

6. schlegelbagel

I wipe down the tank every few months. Their shed skin gets stuck on things, and sometimes the poop leaves little marks that need to be wiped off. I hand scoop out the rest of the poop with a spoon. I change out the top 2 inches of substrate every 3 months or so as well.

With life plants and pill bugs, you have a little mini ecosystem that is pretty darn good at taking care of things on their own.

7. ferliemom

ferliemom Member

Hi,

I set up the tank yesterday and it looks great! But, my tiny frogs are covered in potting soil! :p Is that okay? I misted it and tamped it down as best I could, but they are still sometimes walking around in dirt, and I'm afraid they'll eat it (they are just starting to eat fruit flies). If you have any thoughts on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you!

8. schlegelbagel

I'd place as many large flat rocks over the dirt as possible. I know my local specialty nursery sells odds-n-ends pieces for just a few pennies per pound.