This Disappears When Logged In

Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by xzcarloszx, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xzcarloszx

xzcarloszx Active Member

i still dont know wat substrate to get for my dragons. there juviniles and ive had them on new paper. I want to get something new. Someone please help me on wat to get. Which type of sand to get. Ive heard of some duck tape product Shelf Liners
    Non-Adhesive Shelf Liners can someone help me with that
    thank you

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Realistically for juvi dragons paper is the best substrate, sand can cause impaction, large bark chips can cause hind leg extension if ingested. Paper is cheap and easy to clean up, that's what all my babies are on.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Direct from our caresheet :

Substrates that can be used in captivity without the risk of impaction are paper towels, newspaper, and reptile carpet. Though these substrates may not be as visually appealing as some others, a more natural look requires caution. Adult dragons can be kept on fine sand, or children’s play sand, which is relatively dust free, easy to maintain, and pest free, though there have been reports of intestinal impaction. Another substrate, which has a low risk of impaction and is pest free, is wheat bran. Substrates posing higher risks, which should be avoided, include bark and wood chippings or shavings, crushed walnut, corncob and any other large particle substrate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.